Thread: Talent (Accredited Employer) Resident Visa - Situation while waiting

Question Talent (Accredited Employer) Resident Visa - Situation while waiting

Hi there,

I understand that those who applied for a Talent (Accredited Employer) Resident Visa need to remain on a Work Visa while their residency application is processed and a decision is made.

Is this just for the purpose of making sure they stay in NZ lawfully? Would any type of work visa with any conditions do then? Or do they need to remain under an Talent (Accredited Employer) Work visa and meet the same conditions established when they first applied for it (like salary, etc)?

I could not find anything regarding this in the Operational Manual

You would need to continue to hold a Work to Residence (Accredited Employer) visa and be meeting the same conditions (eg salary of $55K per annum, if that was the policy at the time you got your Work to Residence visa).

Quote Originally Posted by DownSouth View Post
    You would need to continue to hold a Work to Residence (Accredited Employer) visa and be meeting the same conditions (eg salary of $55K per annum, if that was the policy at the time you got your Work to Residence visa).
    Hi. Thanks for your answer but how are you so sure about that? It seems to me that only salary matters once you have already gone through 24 months of employment under an Accredited Employer and lodged your residency application. As long as you meet that requirement, any type of work visa should do. What makes you think it must be an Accredited Employer Work Visa?

Check https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#41990.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Unkikonki View Post
    Hi. Thanks for your answer but how are you so sure about that? It seems to me that only salary matters once you have already gone through 24 months of employment under an Accredited Employer and lodged your residency application. As long as you meet that requirement, any type of work visa should do. What makes you think it must be an Accredited Employer Work Visa?

Check https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#41990.htm
    I agree that this passage from the regulations appears to support your view. I guess you must have a niggling doubt, to have posted the question, though, and in that case, the best people to ask are INZ.

There is a Immigration and Protection Tribunal decision that covers it - you can read the introduction and paragraphs 15 and 16: https://forms.justice.govt.nz/search...828_205769.pdf

Thank you very much for that, DownSouth. Paragraph 26 has additional (helpful) discussion, too. (I do feel sorry for the son in that case. )

Thanks for that DownSouth and JandM. The Tribunal's rationale would've been understandable before the Amendment Circular 20/04 came into effect, but not now. Besides, this particular case was about someone who had been denied a subsequent talent visa for not satisfying the bona fide requirements, which adds up.

The representative’s construction, that it would not matter how far in the past a person had held such a work visa because, having held it for at least 24 months, they were perpetually eligible to apply under the residence instructions at RW2, makes no sense. It leaves a potential employee, who has been identified as working in an area where their talents are required by New Zealand employers, in effect, to have a right in perpetuity to rely on RW2 to make a residence application. That would mean, of course, that having once been a person whose talents were needed by a New Zealand employer, an applicant might relinquish their particular skill-set, lose currency in it, become incompetent in it or unemployable in it for some other reason, yet still be eligible to undertake an application for residence.
    Considering that accredited employer residency applications are currently taking around 2 years to be processed, basically they are forcing applicants to stay in their jobs until a decision is made, even if that decision takes 6 times longer than what was expected at the time that the applicant was granted an accredited employer work visa and committed in good faith to the prescribed process toward residency. For those of us who were just a few months away from applying to residency when the ammendment was announced, this, in practice, is pretty much the same as INZ retrospectively changing the accredited employment requirement to 48 months instead of 24. The Tribunal talks about a "right in perpetuity", well what about an "obligation in perpetuity"?