Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding points for Germany - Craft and Trade Qualifications for joiner/carpenter

Default Question regarding points for Germany - Craft and Trade Qualifications for joiner/carpenter

Hello,
    I am calculating points for a future smc application and have a question. I apprenticed for 3 years in fine woodworking and cabinetry in the USA (no certification) plus 4 years of experience as a journeymen. I currently live in Germany and was told due to my experience in the USA I can sit the final test for apprentices called the Gesellenprüfung (Trade test) / Gesellenprüfungzeugnis (Trade test certificate). In the link below to claim 40 points it seems one must have went through the German vocational training school as well in table A. I wonder how the trade certificate will be scored by Immigration without the vocational school as I am only sitting the apprentice test due to already having all the experience. Without those points I would not score enough on smc. Any help or tips would be appreciated. Thank you

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#46249.htm

How did you prove your US apprenticeship to the German authorities?

Hello JandM,

In order to be excepted to take the test they require a letter from the firm I worked with explaining what I did during my apprenticeship to see if it matches up with the German curriculum. The USA doesnt have a standard certificated apprenticeship system but I am confident the training I received is world class. The test will be in May so I have some time to work on my spoken German language which I am a little concerned about. I have no worry for the practical part of the exam but the oral and written will be hard for me. I have really been trying to get these 40 points and it comes down to the qualification paper. I also thought about other options such as a student visa for NZ and taking the Joinery level 3 certification course which is 26 weeks. It would again be a repeat of what I learned already but at least I would be in NZ and than could apply for the SMC visa. Lots of moving parts but its been a dream for a long time to reside in New Zealand. If you have any thoughts or ideas I would greatly appreciate it. All the best

Looking at the page you have linked to, I see now that it is ONLY one of the qualifications in Table A that can get the points. The qualifications in Table B aren't worth points in themselves - they are just a step on the way to Table A that the applicant is required to show. So for your aim of getting to NZ, it would be necessary to get a qualification from Table A after you gained the one you mentioned from Table B. And see the Note below Table A - all qualifications granted after 2018 would need to be assessed by NZQA.

I have seen examples of South African trade test certificates being assessed at Level 4, where the person has just done the trade test and didn't complete any study through an institution, so in theory it may be possible - I've never seen one from Germany though. Obviously there are no guarantees, and the only way you'll know for sure is by paying for and getting the NZQA IQA.

Thank you for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Looking at the page you have linked to, I see now that it is ONLY one of the qualifications in Table A that can get the points. The qualifications in Table B aren't worth points in themselves - they are just a step on the way to Table A that the applicant is required to show. So for your aim of getting to NZ, it would be necessary to get a qualification from Table A after you gained the one you mentioned from Table B. And see the Note below Table A - all qualifications granted after 2018 would need to be assessed by NZQA.
    As another option what is your opinion about the following. NMIT in nelson has a New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills level 3 which runs 30 weeks. If I were to get a student visa to do this course on completion it would give me the paper qualification I need for points on the EOI application. However its a backwards route since I have already done an apprenticeship plus 4 years of journeyman experience. Is it possible that I would be able to still claim my years of experience for points on the EOI in which the experience was before the Level 3 NMIT qualification? Thank you for your help

Question - would the course at NMIT in Nelson make you eligible for a student visa? See under Offer of place here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#criteria The institution itself would be able to advise you. I see from their website that it's possible to book a phonecall for advice.

About the work experience, see SM7.10 b here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#66799.htm, then SM7.10.10 and SM7.10.15 about being previously qualified. In your case, it would probably be a case to be argued over.

(By the way, I sympathize about the possible need to do the backwards step. When I was working, I twice had to put in time to get 'bits of paper' to prove skills I'd acquired by doing rather than on courses. It's bureaucracy wanting boxes ticked, and not enough, apparently, for someone to be able to SEE you successfully doing whatever it is.)

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Question - would the course at NMIT in Nelson make you eligible for a student visa? See under Offer of place here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#criteria The institution itself would be able to advise you. I see from their website that it's possible to book a phonecall for advice.

About the work experience, see SM7.10 b here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#66799.htm, then SM7.10.10 and SM7.10.15 about being previously qualified. In your case, it would probably be a case to be argued over.

(By the way, I sympathize about the possible need to do the backwards step. When I was working, I twice had to put in time to get 'bits of paper' to prove skills I'd acquired by doing rather than on courses. It's bureaucracy wanting boxes ticked, and not enough, apparently, for someone to be able to SEE you successfully doing whatever it is.)
    Just wanted to say thank you for your help in answering me on my post. I will be calling NMIT in Nelson when they are open to see if the course would make me qualified for a study visa.

I do have one other idea that I have been thinking of....To spend 7 months learning something I already do efficiently seems like a bit a waste in time management.

I also have interest in business and real estate and found that there is actually an online real estate sales course I can do while outside of NZ https://www.openpolytechnic.ac.nz/qu...s/real-estate/

I checked ANZSCO for real estate sales agent: NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)

and looks like a level 4 NZQF qualification is exempt from assessment : 40 points (only Certificates relevant to an occupation at ANZSCO skill level 3, 4 or 5)

In theory is it possible to use a qualification like above for points on the EOI even though it is different than the smc job I would apply for? Would that leave me now having to prove my relevant skilled work experience that makes me qualified for the joinery job.

Does that make sense or am I mixing myself up here? Thank you so much

In theory is it possible to use a qualification like above for points on the EOI even though it is different than the smc job I would apply for? Would that leave me now having to prove my relevant skilled work experience that makes me qualified for the joinery job.
    In theory, yes, and yes. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#66806.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast