Thread: Did anyway need to send in an original passport when applying for Permanent Residence?

Default Did anyway need to send in an original passport when applying for Permanent Residence?

So the INZ call centre is saying that a certified copy of my passport is ok when applying to move from resident to permanent residence status, but this contradicts the official guide that says that people do have to send it in (INZ 1176) to provide evidence for time spent in NZ.

Maybe it's because I would be moving from an eVisa to an eVisa, so they don't really need the passport? And I suppose they have my movements in and out of the country on their computer system.

So does anyone have any recent experience with just sending in a certified copy for this type of application? And did INZ ask for the real passport to be sent instead?

My passport is my only form of official ID, so I don't want to be without it, if I can avoid that!

Re: certified copies. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/know...-question-7058

The official guide may well date from before eVisas were introduced - back then, sending in passports was essential because the visa sticker would be applied to the passport - and the wording may not have been changed. (This often happens with official forms and online pages, even if they've been reprinted.) Any foreigners' comings and goings are stored on the INZ computer - this is done automatically whenever the passport is scanned at the airport.

These days, INZ usually only requires the actual passport at this stage if they haven't previously seen it.

Are you looking at the current version of the INZ 1176 guide? The wording is as follows:

While you can provide a certified copy of your passport(s) with your application, we highly recommend you provide your original passport(s). This will enable us to process your application faster and it may be needed to complete your application. Please note during the processing of an application an immigration officer may request any document, including your original passport(s).

So yes, you can indeed provide a certified copy of your passport (per JandM's post above), but INZ may request your original passport at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by burton37 View Post
    My passport is my only form of official ID, so I don't want to be without it, if I can avoid that!
    If you've got a NZ drivers license, that will work as official ID in most cases (pretty much the only exception I've encountered is when your immigration status needs to be verified).

Yes, I applied recently, submitted only certified copy of passport, didn’t have any issues, application was processed quickly (within 2-3 weeks). They didn’t ask for the original passport (I note they sighted the original with one of my previous visas some years ago).

I have got my PR two years back with an eVisa. However, they asked for the passports only to lodge the application then theh send it back while they did process the application without the passports.