Thread: Options for staying in NZ

Post Options for staying in NZ

Hi there,

I have a situation and I'm not sure how to proceed.
    I am here as the wife (33f) of someone on an essential skills work visa we have a 5 year old daughter, I can work and have a part time low skilled job, but times have been tough, we have been separated for just under a year and we have been trying to work on things.

Unfortunately the other week I discovered he was having an affair, I now want to divorce but I am aware I will need my own visa, I desperately want residency for my daughter and I need to know the best way to go about it. I don't have a degree, I work part time so I can care for my daughter, I may be able to go full time if I need to and pay for care I just want to know what options I have to stay here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ohmyyoung20; 17th December 2020 at 10:38 AM.

I can not legally provide you an answer tailored to your specific circumstances.

The general employment-based pathways to residence are:

There are other possibilities for gaining residency (e.g. new relationship with a New Zealander, Pacific Islander quotas), but they are far less likely to apply, and are probably not worth further elaboration.

If none of the above are options for you (and given that you mention that your employment is low skilled, there is a reasonable possibility that you may not meet any of the employment-based residency instructions), you may have little choice but to return to your country of origin.

You may want to engage the services of a licensed immigration adviser, who would be able to give you tailored advice and instructions with regards to a pathway towards residency, if such a pathway exists for you.