Thread: Citizenship Application Question

Default Citizenship Application Question

Kia Ora.

Just an odd question, I applied for NZ Citizenship in June 2020. It was finally assigned a Case Officer this week and they asked me a somewhat confusing question.

They asked if I had another Birth Certificate that lists the City I was born in? My Passport lists the State I was born in and my Birth Certificate lists the County I was born in and State (they do not list the City in some American States).

I replied that I didn't have any other type of Birth Certificate and explained the County listing. Is this sufficient or are there any alternatives?

Please let me know....

I would think the ministry should have samples of different countries' documentation, then they could see what can be expected. You can't give them what your country doesn't supply. It doesn't exist. If the CO were to persist, I would suggest that s/he check with the US embassy (or maybe her/his manager first).

Some years ago, a British friend of mine died while on holiday in France. His widow had to prove his death to various official and financial institutions. How's this for ridiculous? - one insurance company wrote to her saying, 'Thank you for sending your husband's French death certificate. Please now send us his British one.' Her reply was, 'I am sorry this will not be possible, as, having been certified dead in France, he did not then come back to life so as to die again for British authorities.'