Thread: Supporting partner character requirements - Confused

Default Supporting partner character requirements - Confused

Hey, we're just about to start an application for Partner of a New Zealander Resident visa and came through this confusing issue:

In a nutshell, should the supporting partner provide police certificates for each country they have lived in for 12 months or more in the past 10 years or since they've turned 17?

I found both in two separate links. Really confusing.

Here it says past 10 years
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/know...-question-1239

And here, since turning 17
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...tner-character

If it's the latter than I'm out of options as I have lived in 5 different countries since then and one of them is almost Impossible to get a certificate from (2007 - 2009).

The source of truth is R5.95 in the operational manual.

R5.95.1 pretty much answers all your questions in this regard, and I've quoted it verbatim below:

1. Character checks must be carried out for partners (aged 17 and over) supporting Partnership Category applications.
    2. The supporting partner character check consists of:
      1. a New Zealand police certificate obtained by Immigration New Zealand; and
      2. a police or similar certificate, less than 6 months old, from any country in which the supporting partner has lived 12 months or more (whether on one visit or intermittently) in the last ten years.
    3. Despite (b), an immigration officer may, where they have reason to suspect the supporting partner may not meet character requirements, request a police certificate from the supporting partner for any country in which they have lived for 12 months or more since they turned 17.
    4. Where an application is submitted without the required police certificate(s), an immigration officer may nevertheless accept the application, and obtain any necessary clearances after acceptance, if a supporting partner requires a police certificate from a country:
      1. that does not issue police certificates to individuals; or
      2. for which no instructions in respect of how to obtain a police certificate is available.
    5. If a police certificate is not available from a particular country, the supporting partner must provide a separate statutory declaration in both English and the supporting partner's first language, which must:
      1. detail the supporting partner's attempts to obtain a police certificate; and
      2. state whether the supporting partner has been convicted, or found guilty of, or charged with any offences against the law of that country; and
      3. be corroborated by other information confirming the supporting partner's character.