Thread: Dole

Default Dole

Dear All, as much as I don't want to, I may have to apply for assistance financially, meaning I may have to apply for Dole.
    I resigned from my job due to circumstances I won't mention here.
    However, I have found myself now, without a job since October.
    I am a resident and have been since July of 2019.
    When applying for Permanent Residency, will this affect my application?
    Thanks in advance.

You may not be eligible for financial assistance. The INZ 1000 form (the paper residence application form for the Family and Residence from Work streams) contains the following declaration that the applicant must make, and I can confirm that my Invitation to Apply under the Skilled Migrant Category had the same statement in it:

I understand that I am not entitled to an emergency benefit, unemployment benefit on grounds of hardship or sickness benefit on grounds of hardship from Work and Income for the first 24 months of my residence in New Zealand unless I can show that I am in hardship. I also understand that if I apply for an emergency benefit, unemployment benefit on grounds of hardship or sickness benefit on grounds of hardship that I will need to show that I cannot support myself and my dependants before any application for emergency benefit, unemployment benefit on grounds of hardship or sickness benefit on grounds of hardship is considered. I understand that my application for an emergency benefit, unemployment benefit on grounds of hardship or sickness benefit on grounds of hardship may be declined if I have deprived myself of income or property, by gift or any other method.
    This, however, is unlikely to affect your application for a Permanent Resident Visa. The requirements you must meet are specified at R2.5, and only RV2.5(d) (the requirement that you have met any conditions imposed under section 49(1) or section 50 of the Immigration Act) may potentially trip you up. However, I've never heard of financial assistance restrictions being a Section 49(1) condition; rather, these restrictions are legal requirements that Work and Income must abide by.