Thread: Wife stuck overseas.

Default Wife stuck overseas.

Hi guys,

I hope you are all doing well. I have some questions and looking for some solutions as I am sure lot of people are on same boat as mine.

1. My wife was granted General visitor visa based on wife of NZ citizen and was granted GVV on jan 2020 and was due to travel to NZ on 25th march. Bad luck for us that border got shut on 23rd and then she was anable to travel to NZ. (Please note that We already waited 8 months for her visa and finally she got it on jan2020)

2. After border got shut, I applied her exception and they advised me to go overseas and apply from there again and travel back together. (I have written to INZ/local Minister's to change this rule as there is no way I can go there for 3-4 months as my employer wouldnt give me off for 4 months and I have morgage to pay). I asked them to allow her to travel herself and INZ Minister advised they have shortage of isolation facilities so it is what it is and after several meetings with local labour MPs are not helping either as they showing sympathy but no actions at all) (and please note because of all isolation facilities booked out in advance 4 months, time frames are likley to be longer to travel back to nz if I go overseas to pick up my wife)

3. INZ not doing anything for partners of NZ citizen and after several meetings with local labour MP's, still nothings happening.

4. Now Prime minister advised recently that borders are not going to open another year. Which mean when border open back again, there will be huge backlogs of applications are expected which means time frames for visa likely to be months again
    With this pace we are looking at atleast 2 more years.

5. Its been two years we have been married and first we waited 8 months for visa to arrive and now she is shut out due to border closure. Its been really hard. Whats the point for me being a NZ citizen if my govt cannot help.

I am confused, frustrated and losing hope that NZ not doing anything for their own citzens. I am losing hope in this system.

Someone please advise what to do here. Things are wrong.
    Last edited by perry1234; 7th February 2021 at 12:57 PM.

First of all, I apologise for having to say that although, yes, things are 'wrong' for your personal situation, there is no quick solution that anyone can point you to. You yourself have summed up the difficulty.

The basic situation is that the NZ borders are closed until the NZ government are convinced that the rest of the world has got control of the pandemic. The NZ prime minister has said that is quite likely not to be before the end of the year. Applications from overseas won't be considered till the borders reopen. (I'm living in a country that DIDN'T close its borders, and we, living with closed facilities and self-isolation because many people we know are sick or dead, yes, literally, all heartily envy New Zealanders your population's health.)

Your point 1) Yes, the timing was very bad luck. When the borders reopen, no doubt those who already had visas (like your wife's, and also various work visas) will be among the first to be dealt with, but for the present, they're excluded.

2) You could fit into the present regulations by going to fetch your wife, but you say yourself, you can't do it because of work and monetary commitments. (Isn't there any chance you could arrange to work remotely? - negotiate a mortgage holiday? This seems to be the one point on which there is any chance of change you might be able to set in motion.) The Minister and the MPs have told you about the waiting time for access to isolation facilities. That is not within the control of the people you spoke to, and however much they are sorry for you personally, they know you are one case among thousands, and can't treat you individually.

3) The MPs are part of the government. They can't go against the regulations made by their organization.

4) and 5) Yes, it's hard on you. It is hard on everyone caught up in this situation. It's nothing personal.

The only possible thing to bring your partner is to travel together. We know it is hit hard on your saving, but this is the only INTELIGENT OPTION NZ immigration have at the moment. They don't give a damn about your situation mate. But they do care about cricket teams, America cup, Wiggles and all other rich people.

Some rules dont make any sense. My wife is allowed to enter but only if I enter NZ with her. (If she travel by herself, they need 1 person isolation but if i travel with her then they need two, doesnt it put more pressure on isolation facilities?), few things are beyond my understanding here.

Yes NZ has become very money oriented.

But yeh my only option is to wait for borders reopen but my biggest fear is that times frames for visa processing once border open back up again likely to be months as there gonna be huge rush for people coming to NZ. I hope she gets the priority.

QUOTE=smcvisa93;594484]The only possible thing to bring your partner is to travel together. We know it is hit hard on your saving, but this is the only INTELIGENT OPTION NZ immigration have at the moment. They don't give a damn about your situation mate. But they do care about cricket teams, America cup, Wiggles and all other rich people.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by perry1234; 8th February 2021 at 05:30 AM.

It’s for the best that you go back to fetch your partner. Once you go in there apply for an exemption & mention in the form that you two are living together & shall be travelling together. You’ll probably get your visa within a month or little longer.

Please see the Immigration forum for the two sticky threads about the NZ laws which mean we MUST NOT give immigration advice, that is, must not tell others what action they should choose.