Thread: "Future" SMC Offshore Application

Default "Future" SMC Offshore Application

Hi guys,

please keep in mind that my request is very hypothetical and I am making couple of assumptions in those unclear times. However, I would like to get an idea about SMC processing times/priorisation before the Covid pandemic, I know this might change significantly in the forseeable future.

Our current situation:

family with 3 kids, we would like to immigrate to NZ in the next 2 years, we spent 6 years in NZ (2010-16) back then on a work visa.
    I have already received a job offer from my former employer (position senior manager, retirement replacement), they are willing to wait until we can make the move
    my job is on the long term skill shortage list
    EOI points indicator: 235
    my income will be above the current remuneration threshold

Our objective:

Our aim is preferably to have an approved residency application prior to our arrival in NZ. Based on the current boarder restrictions we would like to avoid a path via a temporary work visa to have the opportunity to travel back to Europe and being able to re-enter NZ again in case of a family emergency, holidays etc. (assumption: similar future lockdown situations)

My question:

I am aware about the backlog and long processing times of SMC applications (up to 18months+)

Would we qualify for a priorisation even if we are offshore applicants but with a job offer and income above the remuneration threshold? How long does the approval process approximately take if it is prioritised?

Please also feel free to share any experiences from the past matching our situation.

Thanks in advance for your support

Best Regards

Martin

They are not processing offshore Residence visa applications, and as far as i understand you can only come to New Zealand on a Temp visa

you can read more about this here

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...to-new-zealand

and to be honest, I feel it's unlikely to get this visa as well, as Immigration would ask the employer to show the proof that no Nzers were not available to fill this role.

wait for other people to reply as well.

Thanks for your response,

As mentioned in my initial post, I am fully aware about the current situation.

However, under the assumption of a resumed "normal" immigration process, I would like to know if in our case we could be eligible for a priorisation of our offshore application.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by vertex View Post
    Thanks for your response,

As mentioned in my initial post, I am fully aware about the current situation.

However, under the assumption of a resumed "normal" immigration process, I would like to know if in our case we could be eligible for a priorisation of our offshore application.

Cheers
    if you are paid double the NZ Median Salary then yes it should be, please be mindful the median salary keeps on increasing, at the moment it's 25.50 NZD/Hour, which is likely to change in Jul to 27, so you would need an offer of 54 NZD per hour on 30 hours basis, or 112K/year (on 40 hours basis).
    Last edited by satty02; 2nd March 2021 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Spelling Mistake

It is worth adding a few caveats to this.

1. We do not know if there will be new rules applied, when selection of EOI restarts.
    2. There are around 6,000 EOI's that are waiting for selection. When selection restarts, there will probably be a surge in applications. How many of these 6,000 are still eligible is unknown, as is how quickly people will get all of their paperwork together and submit.

There's way too many unknowns here right now for you to get any meaningful answer. Apart from the obvious (border closure), we don't know what processing timelines will be when SMC reopens, and we don't know in what form SMC will open. We do know that there is a review of SMC underway (which is supposed to happen every three years, and should have already happened last year but didn't), so it's entirely possible that eligibility criteria will change in future -- just because you're currently eligible doesn't mean that you will remain eligible when SMC reopens. All that we can tell you for sure is that the "new normal" will likely not be the same as the "old normal".