Thread: Travel conditions - RV - SMC

Question Travel conditions - RV - SMC

Hello,

So I got my resident visa under SMC about three weeks back, and I am planning on travelling to my home country to bring my husband into NZ (CPVV). I only read that if I am out of NZ and I do not have valid travel conditions, my resident visa would expire. Two people I know told me that I have to be in the country 6 months continuous when I receive the RV, if not my RV would expire. Is there something like that? Because I might be out of the country for 6 months or more (if my husband's visa takes more time).

For clarification, I am pasting my approval letter and e-visa

Thanks in advance guys!

We are pleased to tell you that we have approved your application for a Skilled Migrant resident visa.
    Your resident visa and travel conditions
    We have granted you a resident visa with travel conditions. Your visa allows you to live, work, and study in New Zealand. It will not expire while you remain in New Zealand.
    Your eVisa with your visa details is attached to the back of this letter. Please check the details and make sure they are correct and contact us if they are not.
    Remove your eVisa from this letter and carry it with you when travelling.
    Expiry of your resident visa
    Your travel conditions allow you to travel outside New Zealand and be granted re-entry into New Zealand as a resident when you return. They are valid until 03 May 2023. Your resident visa will expire if you leave New Zealand and you do not have valid travel conditions that allow you to return as a resident.
    If you are travelling outside New Zealand and plan to return after your current travel conditions expire, you will need to apply for a variation of travel conditions, or a permanent resident visa. However, if you do not leave New Zealand, your resident visa allows you to stay indefinitely.
    Applying for a permanent resident visa
    After you have held your resident visa for two years you will be eligible to apply for a permanent resident visa. Permanent resident visas are not subject to travel conditions and do not expire. If you are granted a permanent resident visa, you will be able to travel outside New Zealand and be allowed re-entry into New Zealand as a resident at any time.
    Please see INZ’s Guide for Resident Visa Holders on our website
    (www.immigration.govt.nz/residentvisaholderguide) for more information.
    Travelling to New Zealand and Managed Isolation and Quarantine
    Managed isolation or quarantine on arrival is required to protect New Zealand from COVID-19.
    This means everyone flying to New Zealand will need to get a Managed Isolation Allocation Voucher confirming they have been allocated a place in a managed isolation facility before they can board their flight. A small number of people will be exempt from this, but they may be asked at check-in or when boarding to provide evidence of their exemption. You can find out how to get a voucher or an exemption on www.miq.govt.nz.
    If arriving in New Zealand after 12am on 3 November 2020, you must present your Managed Isolation Allocation Voucher to airlines to board your flight, unless exempt.
    Settlement Services
    We recognise that you will want to continue settling into your new life in New Zealand. Immigration New Zealand provides free information to new migrants about living in New Zealand and settling in their local area.
    Here are some ways you can access this information:

E-visa

The start date of your visa is: 03 May 2021
    You must arrive in New Zealand before: N/A
    The number of times you may enter New Zealand using this visa is: Multiple
    The last date you may travel and re-enter to New Zealand is: 03 May 2023
    Visa expiry date: Indefinite
    The conditions of your visa: Visa is invalid if holder is outside NZ with expired travel conditions. Please apply for transfer of this visa when the passport expires.

PRINT THIS DOCUMENT AND CARRY IT WITH YOUR PASSPORT WHEN TRAVELLING
    The details above reflect the electronic record of your visa held by Immigration New Zealand (INZ). You do not require a visa label in your passport. Do not attempt to alter this letter. It is an offence under the Immigration Act 2009 to use a document that you know has been altered.
    Please check that the above visa details match your passport before you travel and contact INZ immediately if there are any errors.
    You may be asked to show this letter when you check in for your flight to New Zealand and/or when you arrive in New Zealand. If you cannot show this letter when asked, the airline may not let you board your flight or you may be delayed when entering New Zealand.
    Travelling to New Zealand and Managed Isolation and Quarantine
    Managed isolation or quarantine on arrival is required to protect New Zealand from COVID-19.
    This means everyone flying to New Zealand will need to get a Managed Isolation Allocation Voucher confirming they have been allocated a place in a managed isolation facility before they can board their flight. A small number of people will be exempt from this, but they may be asked at check-in or when boarding to provide evidence of their exemption. You can find out how to get a voucher or an exemption on www.miq.govt.nz.
    If arriving in New Zealand after 12am on 3 November 2020, you must present your Managed Isolation Allocation Voucher to airlines to board your flight, unless exempt.

Your resident visa and travel conditions
    Your resident visa allows you to live, work, and study in New Zealand indefinitely. It will not expire while you remain in New Zealand. You will have the ability to travel in and out of New Zealand as many times as you like for a certain period after your resident visa is granted. This is called your travel conditions.
    Your travel conditions are valid until: 03 May 2023
    Expiry of your resident visa
    Your resident visa will expire if you leave New Zealand and you do not have valid travel conditions that allow you to return as a resident. If you are travelling outside New Zealand and plan to return after your current travel conditions expire, you will need to apply for a variation of travel conditions or a permanent resident visa (if you qualify). However, if you do not leave New Zealand, your resident visa allows you to stay indefinitely.
    How can you prove your visa details without a visa label in your passport?
    Your employer can verify the details of your visa online using VisaView. With your consent, other people or organisations such as health care providers or travel agents can verify the details of your visa using the Visa Verification Service. See: immigration.govt.nz/visaview.
    Do you have a new passport?
    If you get a new passport while this visa is still valid, you must request INZ to update your visa details so that they match your new passport. INZ’s website has information on how to do this: immigration.govt.nz/transfervisa.
    Do you need more information about eVisas?
    For information about eVisas go to immigration.govt.nz/evisas.
    See immigration.govt.nz/search for answers to frequently asked questions or to send an enquiry to INZ, or call our Immigration Contact Centre on +64 9 914 4100 from outside New Zealand, 09 914 4100 from Auckland, or 0508 55 88 55 from the rest of New Zealand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This...

Quote Originally Posted by elsa25 View Post
    I only read that if I am out of NZ and I do not have valid travel conditions, my resident visa would expire.
    ... is correct.

This, though...

Quote Originally Posted by elsa25 View Post
    Two people I know told me that I have to be in the country 6 months continuous when I receive the RV, if not my RV would expire.
    ... will run me afoul of this forum's swear filters if I comment on it.

You have been granted travel conditions through to May 3rd, 2023 allowing you multiple entries from your first day in New Zealand as a resident, pursuant to R5.66.5. You may leave and re-enter New Zealand an unlimited amount of times, so long as you are not out of the country after May 3rd, 2023. After this date, you must apply for a Permanent Resident Visa under RV2 or a variation of travel conditions under RV3 if you wish to leave New Zealand and re-enter as a resident.

If you are outside New Zealand with expired travel conditions, you may be able to obtain a second or subsequent Resident Visa under RV4, but this can quite often be easier said than done.

Be aware that excessive absence from New Zealand can affect your eligibility for a Permanent Resident Visa (especially if you intend to prove your commitment to New Zealand by means of time spent in New Zealand) or a variation of travel conditions, which I suspect is where your friend's wrong answers stem from.

Thanks Kelerei. That's the clarification I was hoping for. Got worried thinking I wouldn't be able to travel.

I do agree with you - I believe they got that idea from the eligibility for a PR!

Thank you so much though