Thread: NZ Citizenship timeline calculation

Default NZ Citizenship timeline calculation

Hi,

I got my residence on November 2018, and have not travelled outside NZ, My query is as below

1) Do I need to wait till November November 2023 to apply?

2) Do I need to wait for 240 Days in the 5th Year?

3) 1350 days backward calculation shows I can do in 4 years completion itself.

Please let me know the date I will become eligible.

Thanks,
    Sarav

To meet the presence requirement, you must be physically present in New Zealand, with the entitlement to remain indefinitely (i.e. holding a residence class visa):

• for at least 1,350 days in the 5 years preceding the date of application, AND
    • for at least 240 days in each of those 5 years.

The date presence is calculated from is the date that your complete application is received in Wellington, together with the application fee.

To calculate whether or not you meet the presence requirement, you must therefore work backwards from the date that you intend to apply. For each of the preceding 5 one-year periods, you must ensure that you have been present in New Zealand for a minimum of 240 days as the holder of a residence class visa, and for at least 1,350 such days across all 5 periods. If you do not meet all of this, you do not meet the presence requirement on the given date, and must apply on a different date.

Thanks for the update, can you let me know do we need to complete 240 days in the 5th year or I can start to apply on the beginning of the 5th year like November 2022 as I have more than1,350 days, the backward calc confuses me
    Last edited by sarav1980; 31st May 2021 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarav1980 View Post
    Thanks for the update, can you let me know do we need to complete 240 days in the 5th year or I can start to apply on the beginning of the 5th year like November 2022 as I have more than1,350 days, the backward calc confuses me
    Please re-read my post above. This is answered.

If you are unable to calculate presence yourself, seek professional advice. I can not, and will not, calculate this for you.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 31st May 2021 at 01:09 PM.