Thread: House prices in NZ - increased due to COVID?

Default House prices in NZ - increased due to COVID?

Parts of Canada have been hit hard by rising house prices due to COVID. I assume people are leaving larger cities and moving to smaller, cheaper areas. But in doing so, they're bringing bigger bank accounts and causing bidding wars on properties, raising prices to crazy levels.

I assume the same has happened in NZ, but have some areas been hit harder than others? Are there still some areas that are realistically priced?

Edit: I've been doing some searches of real estate for sale in various parts of NZ and the prices (to my untrained foreign eye) seem rather high.
    Last edited by curiousexpat; 23rd June 2021 at 02:19 AM.

House prices in NZ is insane. For local views, go to www.interest.co.nz

Yes I saw a graph in the news somewhere showing that New Zealand had the highest price inflation for housing. It’s wild. We bought right after NZ’s lockdown when people weren’t sure if the prices would keep going up so sharply. It’s extra hard because there are no buyer’s agents here, only seller’s agents, so you have to figure everything out yourself. We were lucky to get a lawyer with lots of local real estate experience. Canterbury is supposedly the only reasonable housing market with much supply. We’re in Taranaki which isn’t that bad but still hard.