Thread: WTR Visa is it possible to apply via SMC

Default WTR Visa is it possible to apply via SMC

Kia Ora,

I have a friend working in shortage list occupation. Is it possible for him to apply WTR LTSS now and while on that visa, if SMC finally reopen, can he apply to SMC instead? Thanks

Nga mihi
    Tia

Yes, nothing stopping you from doing this. I did this myself: applied for, and was granted, the Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa, but gained my Resident Visa via the Skilled Migrant Category instead. I met all the criteria to be granted a Resident Visa this way, so went for this instead of waiting for 2 years to qualify for the Talent (Accredited Employer) Resident Visa -- and this turned out to be the correct thing to do, given the processing time blowout that happened shortly thereafter.

For reasons that I hope are obvious, this will only be an option if you meet all the criteria to be granted a Resident Visa under the Skilled Migrant Category. If not, holding a Long Term Skills Shortage List Work Visa does enable the possibility of being granted a Resident Visa under the Residence from Work category instead.

Sweet. Thank you!