Thread: Critical purpose - compassionate grounds

Default Critical purpose - compassionate grounds

Has anyone any experience of how quickly critical purpose - compassionate grounds visas get processed? I've been asked by someone trying to get to NZ in time to see a terminally ill parent.

Has anyone any experience of how quickly critical purpose - compassionate grounds visas get processed? I've been asked by someone trying to get to NZ in time to see a terminally ill parent.

CPVVs are processed rather quickly in general (though I'm not sure how much life expectancy the parent has, so this is obviously relative), but I don't have any specific knowledge of how long applications under the humanitarian category take - I assume that is the category they'd be applying under? The humanitarian category has a very high threshold and to have any chance of success, they would have to submit a thorough application with full documentation including medical reports etc.
    I'm also not sure whether the processing capacity has been impacted by the Level 4 lockdown.

In all honesty, I'm not confident that the application would have a chance of being granted, but in any case it's worth a try because the EOI fee is only NZD$45. If somehow the CPVV is granted, there would still be a huge hurdle to overcome. It is almost impossible to book a place in MIQ at the moment, and based on what I just read, as a non-NZ citizen/resident, the person wouldn't be eligible for an emergency allocation of MIQ space (which is also very very difficult to get in the first place!). https://www.miq.govt.nz/travel-to-ne...tion-requests/
    I'm sorry I can't sound more positive about this sad situation!

Thank you. As soon as I had the message, my first thought was that it was a no-hope situation, as the parent only has a prognosis of two months. It sounds as everything they can do for an application has been done, and it's being processed, but the family here find it hard that they have to wait for *anything*. If, and it's a big if, I know, they got as far as being in MIQ, I found that there's a procedure for compassionate release (on strict testing conditions), but...