Thread: ITPNZ Letter - Diploma Level 7 Issue

Default ITPNZ Letter - Diploma Level 7 Issue

Hi,

Hoping anyone can assist me or been in this situation before!

I have a Graduate Diploma in Computing Level 7 of 1 year studied in NZ. Based on this Level 7 Diploma in IT, I applied for ITPNZ letter.

Now ITPNZ Assessor has come back and said the following
    "If you are undertaking this qualification recognition process for immigration purposes, you will need to hold a qualification equivalent to Level 7 on the NZ Qualifications Framework as a minimum requirement, the equivalent of a New Zealand Bachelor’s Degree. Please note that a Diploma does not meet this requirement"

Now my course was clearly stated as Level 7 on NZQA website and they are saying this not meet the requirement. I have a bachelors from my home country but it is Bachelors in Accounting hence I did not consider it!

Has faced similar issue or anyone can advice what can be done in this scenario ?

Thanks

If you look up the INZ requirements for any ICT computing job to be eligible for the Long Term Skill Shortage List, you'll find this listing (from here https://skillshortages.immigration.g...pport-officer/).
    Required standard

One of the following:
    - Bachelor of Engineering with Honours (Computer Engineering) or (Computer and Electronic Engineering) or (Computer Systems Engineering) or (Electronic Engineering) or (Electrical and Electronic Engineering) or (Electronics and Communication Engineering) or (Electronics and Computer Engineering) or (Electronic/s and Computer Systems Engineering) or (Network Engineering) or (Software Engineering) (NZQF Level 8)
    - Bachelor of Computer and Information Sciences (Honours) (NZQF Level 8)
    - Bachelor of Computing and Mathematical Sciences with Honours (NZQF Level 8)
    - Bachelor of Electronic Commerce with Honours (NZQF Level 8)
    - Bachelor of Information Sciences with Honours (NZQF Level 8)
    - Bachelor of Software and Information Technology with Honours (NZQF Level 8)
    - Bachelor in Computer Generated Imagery (NZQF Level 7)
    - Bachelor of Animation (NZQF Level 7)
    - Bachelor of Applied Information Systems (NZQF Level 7)
    - Bachelor of Applied Information Technology (NZQF Level 7)
    - Bachelor of Applied Management
    - Bachelor of Applied Science and Bachelor of Computer and Information Services (NZQF Level 7)
    - Bachelor of Computer and Information Sciences (NZQF Level 7)
    - Bachelor of Computing (NZQF Level 7)
    - Bachelor of Computing and Mathematical Sciences (NZQF Level 7)
    - Bachelor of Computing Systems (NZQF Level 7)
    - Bachelor of Computing, Communications and Technology (NZQF Level 7)
    - Bachelor of Creative Software (NZQF Level 7)
    - Bachelor of Digital Technologies (NZQF Level 7)
    - Bachelor of Electronic Commerce (NZQF Level 7)
    - Bachelor of Information & Communication Technologies (NZQF Level 7)
    - Bachelor of Information Sciences (NZQF Level 7)
    - Bachelor of Information Technology (NZQF Level 7)
    - Bachelor of Software and Information Technology (NZQF Level 7)
    - Bachelor of Software Engineering (Game Programming) (NZQF Level 7)
    A bachelor's degree at NZQF Level 7, or a higher qualification with a minimum equivalent of 360 credits, which includes the requirements of a New Zealand major in one of the following focus areas: Business Information Systems, Computational Intelligence, Computational Modelling, Computer and Electronic Engineering, Computer and Information Science, Computer and Mobile Systems Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Networks, Computer Science, Computer Systems, Database Architecture, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Electronics, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Electronics and Computer Engineering, Electronics and Computer Systems, Electronic Engineering, Information and Communications Technology, Information Management, Information Science, Information Security, Information Systems, Information Technology, Internet Technology, IT Service Science, Multi-Media, Multi-Media and Web Development, Networks, Network and Communication Engineering, Networks and Security, Network Engineering, Programming, Software and Information Technology, Software Development, Software Engineering, Systems Design, Systems Development, or Telecommunications
    - A Seoul Accord accredited undergraduate (initial) degree (listed - see Note 3)
    - A qualification comparable to NZQF Level 7 or higher, with a letter from IT Professionals New Zealand certifying that the applicant's degree and any further learning meet the educational requirements towards Chartered IT Professional New Zealand status
    AND
    a minimum of three years' relevant post-qualification work experience.
    It's always been the case that, regardless of having a Level 7 classification, a diploma and a degree are not regarded as the same. It's apparently a matter of the number of credits, and the number of hours of study at (whatever) level of complexity. However, as yours is a Graduate Diploma, it's possible that it might fit the description of being a "higher qualification with a minimum equivalent of 360 credits", or that your previous degree, if also submitted, might count along with it to satisfy ITPNZ. (This is not my field, and I don't know for sure.) As the letter from ITPNZ mentioned only 'diploma', not 'graduate diploma', I'm wondering if it's a form letter automatically generated on seeing a request from someone with a diploma, as they must get so many - maybe your full situation has not been looked at.

Is there someone else out there who has gone through a similar situation, and can share their experience?

It is still not clear why do they follow it that way even though it is clearly mentioned in 2.1,2.2 ITPNZ Guide "qualification equivalent to Level 7 on the NZ Qualifications Framework as a minimum requirement" source: https://itp.nz/upload/files/Qualific...on%20Guide.pdf
    Capture.jpg

I dont know anyone personally in this scenario but there was someone known as IT_GUY on this forum who had a similar scenario previously where he had Bachelors Degree in Business but ended up getting a ITPNZ letter with his Graduate Diploma in IT Level 7(https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56659) . So it is not consistent with the guidelines. I have messaged him but havent back yet. I also read a post on some other forum where the advisor suggested that a degree is not required and Graduate Diploma Level 7 should be fine. So really not sure

This is what they have mailed and agreed my qualification was level 7 but because it is not a degree it is not valid
    "You have listed as your MAIN qualification within your ITP Evidence Document, as Graduate Diploma in Computing, Level 7.

If you are undertaking this qualification recognition process for immigration purposes, you will need to hold a qualification equivalent to Level 7 on the NZ Qualifications Framework as a minimum requirement, the equivalent of a New Zealand Bachelor’s Degree. Please note that a Diploma does not meet this requirement."

There are two related, but separate issues here. that may be causing some confusion. Here is my attempt to explain it:

1. The ITP set the academic standard based on the Washington Accord for accredited IT degrees in New Zealand ( see https://itp.nz/Our-Work/Degree-Accreditation for details).
    2. NZ Immigration seem to have decided that the qualification level for the LTSSL is based at the Washington Accord standard

This means that if you do not have a qualification that certified as meeting the Washington Accord standard, you can ask ITP to assess your qualifications and additional learning to see if they as a whole meet the Washington Accord standard. This what I needed to do. I'm old enough that my degree course was in the process of accreditation, so I needed to get it assessed by NZQA to confirm that it was comparable to a level 7 NZ degree, and then ask ITP to confirm that my qualification and other learnings met the requirements.

Your qualification is level 7, but it is a diploma. A diploma only requires study of 120 credits, where a graduate degree at the same level requires 360 credits.

(see https://www.nzqa.govt.nz/assets/Stud...ments-nzqf.pdf for diploma credits)
    (see https://itp.nz/Our-Work/Immigration for details, and their clear IN RED statement that a diploma does not meet the requirements)

I'm sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but based on your posting, I do not believe that qualification can be the basis for you meeting the LTSSL requirements, as they currently stand