Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Citizenship application 5 year requirment

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    No, he isn't. Read the post above yours and my reply to him above.
    Thanks Kelerei, got it.

Hi All,

Initially I am eligible to apply citizenship on Oct 2021 but I been stuck in overseas from Dec 17 2020 until July 12 2021.
    Now I split my 7 months overseas stay into last 2 years, Please see below calculations - does it work like this ??

My presence calculator shows, You do not currently meet requirement (Which is fair enough), please check back again on Oct 2021

Year 5 : March 21st 2022- march 21st 2021 – Out of NZ for 3 months and 22 days = >240days
    Year 4: March 21st 2021 – March 21st 2020 – Out of NZ for 3 months and 2 days =>240 days
    Year 3: March 21st 2020 – March 21st 2019 – Out of NZ for 10 days => 240days
    Year 2: March 21st 2019 – March 21st 2018 – Out of NZ for 1 month and 25days => 240 days
    Year 1: March 21st 2018 – March 21st 2017 – Out of NZ 0 days => 240 days

Your responses and suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spoun2 View Post
    Year 5 : March 21st 2022- march 21st 2021 – Out of NZ for 3 months and 22 days = >240days
    Year 4: March 21st 2021 – March 21st 2020 – Out of NZ for 3 months and 2 days =>240 days
    Year 3: March 21st 2020 – March 21st 2019 – Out of NZ for 10 days => 240days
    Year 2: March 21st 2019 – March 21st 2018 – Out of NZ for 1 month and 25days => 240 days
    Year 1: March 21st 2018 – March 21st 2017 – Out of NZ 0 days => 240 days
    See my previous posts on the subject. This calculation is valid if your application date will be March 21st, 2022. If not, this calculation is incorrect.

When you say departure and arrival dates do not count, do you mean for the 240 days or for days out of the country?

My understanding is: if I leave NZ on 10 February at 2 PM and return on 17 February at 2 PM, I have been out of the country for 6 days.

According to the info I got from INZ, travel dates do not count as day of presence in NZ, so do not get included into the 240 days. Thus, according to the INZ info, you would have been out of the country for 8 days. I calculated accordingly, 4 travel days in my case, but the presence calculater gave me the green light two days earlier than expected. This is where I wonder if only either the departure or the arrival day count in for the 240 days.

They say that sometimes you might be eligible to apply before the presence calculator gives you the "good to go". I erred a few times in my calculations; the tricky bit is the first year after you got residence: You need to have been in the country for 240 days while already on that resident visa.

You can request your travel record from INZ. It gives you your exact arrival and departure details along with how many days you are in NZ between flights.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/cont...ation-about-me
    Drop down box --> I would like to request something else

It would make sense to include them as you were present in NZ on that day.
    Last edited by LemonAndPaeroa; 24th September 2021 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeryking View Post
    You can request your travel record from INZ. It gives you your exact arrival and departure details along with how many days you are in NZ between flights.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/cont...ation-about-me
    Drop down box --> I would like to request something else
    I did just this.

As an example, they counted 18 days present between getting back from my trip to Melbourne and leaving for my trip to UK. The dates on those were 3rd April and 20th April.

By my calculations that's 17 days present. So it seems they're adding the day we depart as present in NZ too?

I obtained my travel movement history from NZ Customs in June, this year. NZ Customs did not count anything like "days present" at all, they simply showed days of departure and days of arrival. The way you counted days present is the way I had done it: departure and arrival days not counted as being present, and that is what INZ told me how they would count it.

The statement does not show in any way though which days INZ (and the DIA) would calculate as being present in NZ.

If they are adding the departure or arrival as being present at all remains the question.

In the end, it is more an academic question here. To be safe, either wait for the presence calculator to give you the green light, or make sure to not count the travel dates as being present in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckard View Post
    I obtained my travel movement history from NZ Customs in June, this year. NZ Customs did not count anything like "days present" at all, they simply showed days of departure and days of arrival. The way you counted days present is the way I had done it: departure and arrival days not counted as being present, and that is what INZ told me how they would count it.
    Actually, that's not correct: INZ calculates presence inclusive of both arrival and departure dates (at least, for the purposes of applying for a Permanent Resident Visa, a variation of travel conditions, or a subsequent Resident Visa: see RV1.15.5). I can't find any official word as to whether or not the Department of Internal Affairs calculates presence inclusive or exclusive of both arrival and departure dates, but it makes more sense than not for it to be inclusive as well.

If INZ were to calculate presence exclusive of both arrival and departure dates, that's a clear "incorrect assessment" result if the decision is appealed to the Immigration and Protection Tribunal.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast