Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Citizenship application 5 year requirment

Quote Originally Posted by Eckard View Post
    I obtained my travel movement history from NZ Customs in June, this year. NZ Customs did not count anything like "days present" at all, they simply showed days of departure and days of arrival. The way you counted days present is the way I had done it: departure and arrival days not counted as being present, and that is what INZ told me how they would count it.

The statement does not show in any way though which days INZ (and the DIA) would calculate as being present in NZ.

If they are adding the departure or arrival as being present at all remains the question.

In the end, it is more an academic question here. To be safe, either wait for the presence calculator to give you the green light, or make sure to not count the travel dates as being present in NZ.
    If you request travel records from Immigration NZ (see post #26) it will show days in NZ. Requested mine this month and they emailed me within 2 working days.

Perhaps the way information presented is different between INZ and Customs NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeryking View Post
    If you request travel records from Immigration NZ (see post #26) it will show days in NZ. Requested mine this month and they emailed me within 2 working days.

Perhaps the way information presented is different between INZ and Customs NZ.
    Thank you cheeryking - in the meantime, I ordered it too via https://www.immigration.govt.nz/cont...ation-about-me. These data are indeed much more precise, and they are also much easier to get. I had to draw up a letter to customs for the travel movements.

Could someone please check my thinking for if I would apply 2 October:

Year 1: 2 October 2020-1 October 2021 (not 100% sure the day of application counts under the "last 5 years" so just being on the safe side here)
    Year 2: 2 October 2019-1 October 2020
    Year 3: 2 October 2018-1 October 2019
    Year 4: 2 October 2017-1 October 2018
    Year 5: 2 October 2016-1 October 2017

Residency granted on 26 January 2017, 9 days out of the country in year 5 - eligible 2 October.

(Other years I easily meet the presence requirement)

Quote Originally Posted by Nether111 View Post
    Could someone please check my thinking for if I would apply 2 October:

Year 1: 2 October 2020-1 October 2021 (not 100% sure the day of application counts under the "last 5 years" so just being on the safe side here)
    Year 2: 2 October 2019-1 October 2020
    Year 3: 2 October 2018-1 October 2019
    Year 4: 2 October 2017-1 October 2018
    Year 5: 2 October 2016-1 October 2017

Residency granted on 26 January 2017, 9 days out of the country in year 5 - eligible 2 October.

(Other years I easily meet the presence requirement)
    You've got the one year intervals spot on. It is indeed before the day of application: the Citizenship Act 1977 explicitly states "immediately preceding the date of the application" (Section 8(2)(b)).

For your Year 5: you can't count anything before 26 January 2017, and there's 249 days between 26 January 2017 and 1 October 2017. 9 days out of the country between 26 January 2017 and 1 October 2017 would put your Year 5 total at exactly 240 days.

Great thank you!! We shall see what the presence calculator says...

By the way, if anyone wonders, INZ no longer checks if you meet the presence requirements at the appointment.

I applied on 11.09., and that was the first day the presence calculator gave me the "good to go".

I now did the numbers again with the data retrieved via https://www.immigration.govt.nz/cont...ation-about-me (thanks again cheeryking):
    The result: On 10.09.2017, I had been present in the country while on a resident visa for 241 days - including 4 travel days (2 dep, 2 arr) and including the day I received my resident visa.

Can anyone figure out which days can be counted in and which ones may not?

So according to your info you should have been eligible one day earlier.

I've called DIA a few times now re how days are counted but I keep getting different answers, so who knows........

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234