Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Citizenship application 5 year requirment

Its a bit confusing as one part of the site under presence requirements says -

"If you have had more than 1 type of visa or permit in the last 5 years
    You can apply for New Zealand citizenship as long as each visa or permit allowed you live here indefinitely."

My wife has not held a residence visa for 5 years just yet, but the calculator says she is ok to apply and apparently the calculator checks the resident requirement -

"The calculator will search for your travel and visa information in the Immigration New Zealand database to check if:

You have been living as a New Zealand resident for at least the last 5 years, and
    You have spent enough time in New Zealand in the last 5 years."

It seems contradicting?

Quote Originally Posted by David12345 View Post
    Its a bit confusing as one part of the site under presence requirements says -

"If you have had more than 1 type of visa or permit in the last 5 years
    You can apply for New Zealand citizenship as long as each visa or permit allowed you live here indefinitely."

My wife has not held a residence visa for 5 years just yet, but the calculator says she is ok to apply and apparently the calculator checks the resident requirement -

"The calculator will search for your travel and visa information in the Immigration New Zealand database to check if:

You have been living as a New Zealand resident for at least the last 5 years, and
    You have spent enough time in New Zealand in the last 5 years."

It seems contradicting?
    That point references to a visa that allow you be in NZ indefinitly - A visa with not expiration day

You can check this document - https://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/...html#DLM443855

Quote Originally Posted by YessicaCBO View Post
    That point references to a visa that allow you be in NZ indefinitly - A visa with not expiration day
    I am aware of that, but as above its not what I am asking, she has been on a visa that allows her to be in NZ indefinitely for just under 5 years, but the calculator says she meets the requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by David12345 View Post
    I am aware of that, but as above its not what I am asking, she has been on a visa that allows her to be in NZ indefinitely for just under 5 years, but the calculator says she meets the requirements.
    Because of the way Department of Internal Affairs calculates time spent in NZ (see the formula l00k posted), it is actually possible to be eligible to apply for citizenship before holding the resident/permanent resident visa for 5 years. I never left NZ from the time I was granted residence, and was eligible to apply for citizenship 4 years and 240 days from the date my residence was granted. I applied in person, and my application was accepted without question.

If the calculator says she is eligible, she is eligible.

I was away for 7 months straight out of NZ. But I used 3.5 months of each residency year.
    If the calculator says you are eligible, then you sure are.

I did all my calculations, and I was sure I was eligible however the online calculator was saying not eligible.
    The online tool may say you are not eligible, but you still are. Which was my case. Someone in another topic called the DIA and they confirmed that the online calculator may give a false negative.

Follow the formula and you are all good.

Quote Originally Posted by kyozera View Post
    I did all my calculations, and I was sure I was eligible however the online calculator was saying not eligible.
    The online tool may say you are not eligible, but you still are. Which was my case. Someone in another topic called the DIA and they confirmed that the online calculator may give a false negative.
    I think I maybe getting a false negative. The calculator says I do not meet the requirements and should check again in October. It's a bit frustrating. I don't want to apply and get rejected.

I became a resident on 18th January 2017. Travel dates are exact from an information request with MBIE.

18/Jan/2017 - 17/Jan/2018 ... Days in NZ: 344 / Days out: 21
    18/Jan/2018 - 17/Jan/2019 ... Days in NZ: 365 / Days out: 0
    18/Jan/2019 - 17/Jan/2020 ... Days in NZ: 344 / Days out: 21
    18/Jan/2020 - 17/Jan/2021 ... Days in NZ: 346 / Days out: 19
    18/Jan/2021 - 19/Sep/2021 ... Days in NZ: 244 / Days out: 0

So in the country for over 240 days each year, and over the total of 1350 (actually 1643 total).

Should I just apply? Any advice appreciated.
    Last edited by MajorLiggs; 19th September 2021 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorLiggs View Post
    I think I maybe getting a false negative. The calculator says I do not meet the requirements and should check again in October. It's a bit frustrating. I don't want to apply and get rejected.

I became a resident on 18th January 2017. Travel dates are exact from an information request with MBIE.

So in the country for over 240 days each year, and over the total of 1350 (actually 1643 total).

Your calculations are incorrect. You must calculate backwards from your date of application, and not forwards from your date of being granted residence. Per the Citizenship Guidance Document, presence is calculated from the date a completed application is received by the Department of Internal Affairs, together with the required fee.

So, as of today, you must look at:
    • 20 September 2020 - 19 September 2021
    • 20 September 2019 - 19 September 2020
    • 20 September 2018 - 19 September 2019
    • 20 September 2017 - 19 September 2018
    • 18 January 2017 - 19 September 2017

Without knowing your precise dates of absence, I'm guessing that you have enough absence between your date of being granted residence (18 January 2017) and the date exactly four years ago (19 September 2017) that you're short of 240 days for that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    Without knowing your precise dates of absence, I'm guessing that you have enough absence between your date of being granted residence (18 January 2017) and the date exactly four years ago (19 September 2017) that you're short of 240 days for that time period.

Ahhhh. Yes this makes perfect sense! Thank you. After reading your explanation, it clicked. Application day should be October 6th. Thanks again, boss.
    Last edited by MajorLiggs; 19th September 2021 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorLiggs View Post

MajorLiggs,
    From the information you have presented, you should be good to go. The calculator acts up sometimes. You may phone DIA, they’re are very nice people there- sometimes you might have to hold on for a while before they answer the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dank View Post
    MajorLiggs,
    From the information you have presented, you should be good to go.
    No, he isn't. Read the post above yours and my reply to him above.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast