Thread: partnership residency visa - evidence documents

Question partnership residency visa - evidence documents

Hey guys,
    So while I'm still waiting for the partnership work visa to be approved, I figured I'd put most of the residency application together so that when I want to submit it, I'm ready and don't have to waste time trying to get something I forgot.

1. Since I'm applying a few months after applying for the work visa, can I just upload the same reference letters from friends etc, or do I have to ask them to write new ones? Do we have to have some letters from both families too?

2. Did you add lots more proof for the residency application or would my stuff from the work visa be enough? I appended bank statements, various online orders, car insurance, registration of a PLB, photos, fb conversation, lease from the place where we live now (since Dec2020, I wasn't on the lease before), The document I filled out when asking for a medical & xray last year (showing address & my partner as a contact), our individual vehicle (motorbike & moped) insurance showing the address, letters from friends & a flatmates bank statement's showing I was paying for rent even when I wasn't on the lease, flights together, a document about our chores system, how we were sharing finance before getting a joint account and what not. I really can't think of anything else I could use.
    I am planning to use the same documents and just update them - adding the last few months of evidence where applicable. Does that make sense? I am assuming the residency visa processing team might be different so probably not a good idea to only upload the last few months assuming they'll dig up the work visa application.

3. In the form INZ1178:
    "If you hold:
    • a valid Australian passport but do not hold a current New Zealand residence class visa, or
    • a New Zealand residence class visa granted on the basis that you were the holder of an Australian permanent residence visa or an Australian resident return visa,
    is New Zealand your primary place of established residence? Yes No Not applicable"
    Considering my partner is a kiwi, does he just skip that question?

Question A18:
    "If you are aged 17 years and over, attach police certificate(s) for all countries that you have lived in for 12 months
    or more (whether on one visit or intermittently) in the 10 years prior to the date the application is made?
    This includes your home country.
    (If you have lived in New Zealand for 12 months or more, INZ will obtain the New Zealand police certificate after you submit this form.)
    Yes No Not applicable"
    Considering my partner's a kiwi and has never lived anywhere outside of NZ for longer than that, should he tick "NO" or "NOT APPLICABLE" again?

Cheers all.

I'll go through your questions by number:

1. I got new reference letters. As to number and from whom, I only ever submitted two: one from my partner's long-term friend, and one from a family member.

2. I did what you are suggesting: re-submitted all the same evidence I did with my partner work visa application, adding in evidence to cover the time between applications. It is definitely a separate team that processes the residence applications, and they may or may not have access to the old documents. I have heard some people say they do, but I chose to make it as simple as possible for the CO and submit it all again. Also, depending on how much time passes between when you submit your application and when it gets processed, you may be asked for even more evidence to cover that time. They may want to make sure the relationship has not broken down in the interim. So keep saving evidence, just in case. I was not asked for this personally, but I know others who were.

3. My partner is also a Kiwi who has never lived anywhere but NZ. He selected "not applicable" for both A10 and A18.

Thank you!!

Just another question (to anyone)...regarding our situation:
    We have been living together since March 2020, but I wasn't on the lease (was paying rent and have the bank statements showing these transactions), I am on the lease of the new house where we moved in December 2020. Is this an issue for a residency application, should I wait until December so it is officially a year being covered by the lease or am I good to go even now - providing other documents showing I've been living with my partner - like my bank statements showing the address, my visa application from last year, packages etc.? I don't want to throw out $1500 but at the same time I would rather apply sooner (when possible) than later. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by veelove View Post
    Just another question (to anyone)...regarding our situation:
    We have been living together since March 2020, but I wasn't on the lease (was paying rent and have the bank statements showing these transactions), I am on the lease of the new house where we moved in December 2020. Is this an issue for a residency application, should I wait until December so it is officially a year being covered by the lease or am I good to go even now - providing other documents showing I've been living with my partner - like my bank statements showing the address, my visa application from last year, packages etc.? I don't want to throw out $1500 but at the same time I would rather apply sooner (when possible) than later. Thanks!
    If you have other evidence that shows cohabitation during the time period not covered by a joint lease, you should be fine. My partner and I never had joint tenancy, nor did I contribute to rent/mortgage, as he owns our home outright. We had enough other evidence (joint bills, joint mail, separate mail at same address) that it wasn't an issue.