Thread: Essential Skills Work Visa Overlap?

Default Essential Skills Work Visa Overlap?

Hey guys,

I currently hold an Essential Skills Work Visa, however I have been offered another job that I desire to take.

Unfortunately I don't not meet the requirements for a variation of conditions, as I will have more than two conditions changing. I will need to apply for a new Essential Skills.

I'm unsure of what order to complete the switch of visa whilst continuing to lawfully work in New Zealand.

- Do I apply for a new Essential Skill Visa whilst I'm working my notice period at my current job?

- Do I have to wait until my current employment contract is terminated until I apply for a new Essential Skills?

- Or would a cover letter explaining the situation suffice and cover a potential overlap of visas?

Any clarity on this process would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Last edited by TWNZL; 23rd September 2021 at 12:15 PM.

Pretty much this:

Quote Originally Posted by TWNZL View Post
    - Or would a cover letter explaining the situation suffice and cover a potential overlap of visas?
    See the official advice from INZ on this page. You can't start your new role until your new Work Visa has been granted, and you can't remain in your old role once your new Work Visa has been granted. Effectively, this means that you'll need to liaise with INZ so that your new Work Visa is granted as soon as your notice period ends: definitely not before (because you will then be legally prohibited from working your notice period) and not after (because you won't be able to start your new role until the new Work Visa comes through).

EDIT: Current processing times for the Essential Skills Work Visa are: 50% of applications within 33 days, 75% of applications within 47 days, 90% of applications within 70 days. You may want to get that application in sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 23rd September 2021 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks for the clarity Kelerei. Much appreciated!