Thread: Can a resident visa holder apply for different class residence visa

Default Can a resident visa holder apply for different class residence visa

Question is in the title basically, I'm wondering if it's possible to apply for a different class of resident visa when you already hold a resident visa. Say for example if you have a conditional resident visa (must remain in certain employment for 24 months), but are now eligible to apply for a partner resident visa (which isn't conditional), can you apply for the partner resident visa when you're already a resident visa holder of another class?

This has been done before with no objection from INZ. Obviously, you have to pay the fee for the new visa application, and you will have to have all the detailed evidence of living together, as detailed on the INZ website and their factsheet. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#criteria

Of course, the question is "but, why?". I would imagine that, in the vast majority of cases, that it would be easier (not to mention cheaper!) to meet the conditions of an existing Resident Visa rather than apply from scratch for a whole new one.

I've also never heard of having to remain in certain employment for 24 months before. I know that it can be up to 12 months with the Skilled Migrant Category (per SM11.5), but even so, in that instance it doesn't have to be the same employer, multiple employers all meeting the requirements for current skilled employment are acceptable.

EDIT: Scratch that, I just found that conditions are applied on the South Island Contribution Resident Visa where one must remain in full-time employment in the region specified by their South Island Contribution Work Visa for 24 months from the date their Resident Visa is granted (RW8.5). I'm guessing that you've got a condition similar to this (if not this very condition), and have now found a partner and want to relocate to be with that partner: in that case, I suggest professional immigration advice as to what the best course of action for you would be.

Yes that's correct, exactly that condition. However things have changed once again with the announcement of the 2021 resident visa! There's an old joke in Britain about waiting forever for a bus and then 3 show up at once. In this case for me it's resident visas

Fyi if you can apply for the partnership residency visa, you would probably be resident way sooner than if you were to apply for the one off residency visa! And don't forget we don't know if the one off will have any rules or not....
    The current backlog for partnership residency visas is about 1 month! So if you and your partner are eligible for that, I think that's the better choice here atm.