Thread: Starting new business / company registration

Default Starting new business / company registration

Hi,
    Should I approach an accountant? or can I just go ahead to register in the companies govt nz website?
    Can one company do business in two domains? say IT and cleaning?
    Would like to hear your experiences.
    thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by farfaraway View Post
    Hi,
    Should I approach an accountant? or can I just go ahead to register in the companies govt nz website?
    Can one company do business in two domains? say IT and cleaning?
    Would like to hear your experiences.
    thanks a lot.
    It's pretty easy to register the company yourself. Why don't you give it a go? If you get stuck you can always ask the companies office directly for help. Also - https://www.registeracompany.co.nz/ can get a company going for you for $279. If we did this (https://www.privatebox.co.nz) we would charge about $450. In NZ if you just approach things honestly it will normally work out for you.

It is a _very_ good idea to have an accountant or bookkeeper on board to make sure you start your record keeping in the correct way. IRD can be very particular about proving what is an expense or not. At the very least - you will need help filing your end of year returns (I've never been able to figure out "imputation credits") so make sure you use a separate bank account, credit cards etc for business expenses so this is easy to track.

And no problem running 2 businesses under a single company. You can just use a different trading names (which you can also list of the companies website).

Just be aware the reason you have a limited liability company is just that - it limits your liability if you do happen to do something wrong to one of your clients. So - if the risk profile is different for your IT and cleaning businesses, then diff companies might make sense. If they are both low risk - then its no big deal (just my opinion!).

Check us out (Private Box Ltd) if you need a company address, phone number or virtual receptionist etc.

When starting a new business, it's important to consider various aspects such as legal requirements, financial planning, and marketing strategies. While it's possible to register a company directly on the Companies Government NZ website, seeking advice from an accountant or enterprise consulting firm like https://www.successionresource.com/e...ise-consulting can be beneficial. Regarding the question of whether one company can do business in two domains, the answer is yes.