Thread: Submitting a PR application in New Zealand (within 3 month of arrival) and leaving before application result issuance

Default Submitting a PR application in New Zealand (within 3 month of arrival) and leaving before application result issuance

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding NZ permanent residence applications and would really appreciate your help.

My wife and I (New Zealander) have been married for eight years and are currently preparing her application for a NZ permanent resident visa. For the avoidance of doubt, she is the applicant and I am the supporter/sponsor of her application.

We're planning to file the application as soon as we arrive in New Zealand in the next few months. However, she can't stay there for the application result to issue and will have to leave New Zealand to take care of her mother.

We're concerned that her need to leave before result issuance might adversely affect her application. If you have an answer, suggestion or solution to our situation, could you share it with us please?

Thanks

From what you're saying, I'm wondering if you're hoping to get your wife a PR visa on the basis of having lived with you overseas for a minimum of five years, but the actual application will be for Residence, as at F2.5.1 here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#46503.htm Or does she already have a Residence visa? If you let us know just what your situation is, people will be better able to help you.

Thank you for your reply and your understanding is correct. I should have mentioned in my original post that we would be submitting an application for a resident visa for my wife, hoping to be granted a permanent resident visa instead based on the fact that we have been together for more than five years. She does not already have a residence visa, but she has been granted a visitor visa. We're planning to submit the application within three months upon arrival, and she might have to leave before the result issues. I hope this clarifies our situation, and thank you again.

Reading F2.5.1 at that link shows no mention of any requirement for the applicant to be in NZ while their case is processed. Experience has shown that many people didn't travel to NZ at all before their PR visa came through. There's no time limit for entering the country on a PR visa, since being a permanent resident includes the right to freely come and go.

Thank you so much for your help!