Thread: 2021 Residency Visa Eligibility?

Default 2021 Residency Visa Eligibility?

Hi,

Quick question about my eligibility. I arrived in NZ with my partner Dec 2015 firstly on WHV then ESV for a approx combined total of 2 years. We left in Jan 2018 after our visa expired for family issues then returned on an new ESV in Jan 2019 and have lived in NZ ever since.

I believe we are eligible as we arrived and lived in NZ before Sept 2018 and have lived here for more than 821 days since but just want to make sure our 1 year gap does not affect us?

Best wishes for your applications and thank you.

It's impossible to say for sure as the relevant immigration instructions have not yet been published. It may or may not be the case that, because you did not hold a qualifying visa on 29 September 2018, you will be deemed not to meet the "lived in New Zealand for three or more years" criteria -- we simply don't know yet.

If, however, you are deemed not to have met the "lived in New Zealand for three or more years" criteria, you may still be eligible if you meet the "earn at or above the median wage" criteria or the "work in a role on a scarce list" criteria.

I'm regularly scanning the Policy Amendment Circulars for the new immigration instructions. Once they're published, it will be possible to give you a definite answer to your question. For now, you'll just have to wait it out.