Thread: What to do if the 2021 visa is a better option?

Default What to do if the 2021 visa is a better option?

I applied for residence under the South Island Contribution pathway almost 2 years ago. Based on the communications I have received, this is due to be allocated to an IO any day now.

I'm also eligible for the 2021 residence visa, which I could apply for on the 1st December as I've already submitted a residence application.

So now I have a quandary. The South Island Contribution resident visa comes with conditions; you must remain in full time employment for 24 months. The 2021 resident visa doesn't mention anything (yet) about any kind of conditions. I'd much prefer not having conditions, especially in the current climate of job uncertainties.

Given the circumstances, is there any scope for me to request that the conditions on the South Island Contribution residency visa be removed? My thinking being that on the one hand, I could withdraw my current application, wait til 1st December, then apply for the 2021 resident visa. Or I could leave things as they are, be granted the South Island Contribution residency and request removal of the conditions, putting me in the exact same position as I would be with the 2021 resident visa.

On that note, does anyone know if INZ are still processing applications like mine where it's obvious that the 2021 visa is the easier option for all involved? Would they maybe transfer these applications into the 2021 category?

Of course I could just wait and apply for the 2021 visa regardless, but it would be quite nice to only pay for the resident application once!

Edit: I am still eligible to withdraw and receive a refund for my initial application, following the Ombudsman's decision on the allocation process circa 07 May 2021.
    Last edited by NiceCupOfTea; 4th October 2021 at 10:18 AM.

I don't think anyone could answer your questions at the moment. We haven't yet seen the full regulations for the 2021 visa, nor exactly how links to it from other applications (if any are made available) will work.

I'm in a similar spot with a Residence application submitted Sep 2020, feels like it might be quicker withdrawing and submitting again, but we have to wait till firmer rules are announced.

Why they don't put Fabrication Welder, who working on log truck modification, into the shortlist of 2021 One-off Residence? We do need people with engineering skill than mushroom pickers or apple pickers.

Quote Originally Posted by lansweden View Post
    Why they don't put Fabrication Welder, who working on log truck modification, into the shortlist of 2021 One-off Residence? We do need people with engineering skill than mushroom pickers or apple pickers.
    I think the main reason for the 2021 visa is to clear a massive headache for INZ in terms of backlogged applications and all the ad-hoc policy decisions they'd have to make for the tens of thousands of temp visa holders in their current unprecedented situation. This one off resident visa is a giant magic wand that makes a lot of problems go away.