Thread: Resident visa to Permanent resident Query

Default Resident visa to Permanent resident Query

Hi,

We (Myself, My wife and My son) got our SMC resident visa approved on 22th of Oct, 2021.

After two years later, which is 22th of Oct, 2023, I want to apply for Permanent visa through the following criteria:

Capture.jpg

You have established your base in New Zealand by having:

lived in New Zealand as a resident for at least 41 days in the year before you applied for permanent residence
    and everyone else included in your residence application has been living in New Zealand for at least 184 days in the 2 years before you applied for permanent residence.

worked full-time in New Zealand for 9 months or more in the 2 years before you applied for permanent residence.

Here is our plan to fulfill the criteria:

We will be outside of NZ from Dec, 2021 until April, 2023 and work offshore for a NZ employer (working remotely but still pay the tax for IRD to fulfil the 9 months full-time
    employment criteria) and come to NZ and stay here for another 6 months to fullfil criteria that everyone else included in your residence application has been living in New Zealand for at least 184 days in the 2 years.

Just wondering work remotely for NZ employer will fullfill the 9 months full-time employment criteria.

Thanks

Here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#30505.htm are the complete regulations in the INZ operational manual. As you will see, there is no mention of whether or not working overseas for an NZ employer can count as working IN New Zealand.

If no-one comes forward who has experience of this situation, I suggest that you need to check with INZ.

This page https://www.ird.govt.nz/internationa...or-individuals about the criteria for tax residency status may be of help when considering your situation.