Thread: "You will not need to pay a fee but you will need to pay the full fee"

Default "You will not need to pay a fee but you will need to pay the full fee"

Many of us will have received the official INZ email about the 2021 one-off resident visa.

The email contains this section:

"The total cost of the 2021 Resident Visa is $2,160 including GST. This includes a $1,330 application fee and $830 immigration levy.

Because you have already submitted and paid for a RfW application, you will not need to pay another fee when you apply for a 2021 Resident Visa.

However, once an in-principle decision has been made on your 2021 Resident Visa application, you will need to pay the applications fee. At this point, if you choose to withdraw your RfW application, the fee from that application can be used towards your 2021 Resident Visa. As the RfW application fee is less than the 2021 Resident Visa application, you will need to pay the difference in the application fee before the application is finalised.

You will not need to pay the immigration levy again.

If you choose not to withdraw your RfW application, you will need to pay the full $1,330 application fee for the 2021 Resident Visa. This is to cover the cost of processing."

So.... do I need to pay the fee or do I not?

It seems pretty clear to me. You don’t pay until an “in principle” decision is made. If you then don’t withdraw your RFW application, you pay the full fee. If you do withdraw your RFW application, you only pay the difference between the two fees. A final decision will be made when the payment is settled.

Yes, any if your 21 Resident Visa is being processed (and 99.9% approved) what use is having a RfW application sitting there on the side that can't be approved because you're then already a resident under 21 Resident Visa?

True, I was reading it with the bias of my own particular situation.

My RfW is due this month but the 2021 visa is much better for me as it doesn't have conditions attached. All is tickety boo if my RfW isn't approved before December 1st, but if it comes through before then I'm guessing I'd have to pay for the 2021 application. I wonder if I can have my current RfW processing suspended or deferred in anticipation of me applying for the 2021 visa instead?

How do they justify the 2021 visa, which is electronic and is much less work for them to go through, being more expensive than the RfW process? Maybe they're recouping the cost of the new electronic system.
    Last edited by genegeney; 2nd November 2021 at 02:59 PM.