Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sending stuff via container...

Default sending stuff via container...

Hi guys,

Just thought I would post this titbit out of our daily paper we get from Lloyds...

and also in another related article.....
    "nearly 250 containers were lost overboard from modern ships over the past fortnight..all the containers were loaded with consumer goods...no hazardous materials.
    A leading container fleet insurer has advised agains reading to much into the latest reports and it estimates that worldwide the average number of boxes that fall from ships is around 2,500 containing at least 15m tonne.

...this works out at 0.006% of the number transported each year."

ohh my hairs turning grey(....Rob .....do you want to sell everything )

I know when my OH was into yachting and was in touch with people that did big ocean stuff that there was always talk about the increasing hazzard of semi-submerged containers that had been lost over board. Hence his insistance on marine insurance rather than indemnity, (what the real difference is Im not sure, but it makes him feel happier).
    Debbie

Yikes - they had better not loose any of our wedding presents!!!

Jo

http://www.insurecargo.com/cargo-ins.../nv.asp?code=0 (USA Site)
    http://www.sutcliffesolloway.com/ company I am going to get a quote from when we decide what we actually are taking...
    http://www.e-insurancedirectory.com/marine.php and I found this one.

Kat

Gulp....
    I don't wanne know....!

And to think I was so excited today to hear that our container finally shipped! Fingers crossed it doesn't fall off but given how things have gone to date....

Oh good grief... is that an ulcer I'm getting? I'll have a nightmare about that picture tonight.

glad my stuff is already here....

It is a real problem, when I was at sea there were often collisions with "objects", and it is not very reassuring when you see the method of securing the containers to each other. The "twist locks" are very flimsy by comparison to the weight that they have to restrain. Wonder if you can ask to have your container placed inside the ship?
    In truth the heavier containers are kept inside to keep the ships weight distribution as low as possible, with the empty or lightweight containers at the top of the pile.

After talking to our driver who came for our container about losing it at sea, he told us there wasn't anything to worry about as all household goods are on the bottom, and the ones that are upstairs are foodstuffs and such like, but should your container arrive late at the port it goes on top. He also stated that there are plenty of containers that are just tossed overboard if the journey gets a little rough.

They should have ditched ours as we could have claimed for total loss, instead of arguing with the insurance company about a mouldy 3 piece suite and a knackered computer.

Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast