Thread: Granting Citizenship for all Resident and Permanent Resident ?

Talking Granting Citizenship for all Resident and Permanent Resident ?

Hi All we all are aware that INZ doing a good step to consider migrants by offering a 2021 One-off residency visa. I understand this visa does not require police clearance, previous experience certificate, job reference or any English test like IELTS etc. I really appreciate INZ and the government + opposition doing this.

1. No Long wait to get CO
    2. No several times English test and no cost
    3. No headache to collect previous experience and reference
    4. No headache to get PCC

In the meantime, the government should consider granting Citizenship (similar to the 2021 One-off visa) to the current resident, Permanent Resident who already struggled, suffered a lot and waited a long time to get overseas police clearance, previous experience certificate, a job reference and a pass an English test.

Please give your idea/thinking to start a petition to request the government to Grant Citizenship for all Resident and Permanent Resident

What exactly makes you think they are entitled to becoming citizens of NZ without actually meeting the conditions for citizenship?

Quote Originally Posted by STV View Post
    Hi All we all are aware that INZ doing a good step to consider migrants by offering a 2021 One-off residency visa. I understand this visa does not require police clearance, previous experience certificate, job reference or any English test like IELTS etc. I really appreciate INZ and the government + opposition doing this.

1. No Long wait to get CO
    2. No several times English test and no cost
    3. No headache to collect previous experience and reference
    4. No headache to get PCC

In the meantime, the government should consider granting Citizenship (similar to the 2021 One-off visa) to the current resident, Permanent Resident who already struggled, suffered a lot and waited a long time to get overseas police clearance, previous experience certificate, a job reference and a pass an English test.

Please give your idea/thinking to start a petition to request the government to Grant Citizenship for all Resident and Permanent Resident
    I think regarding citizenship, current residents and PR should just get inline and wait like the rest of us. Five years commitment to NZ seems fair. Immigration still has to do its due-diligence.

I think the key is reducing processing times back to pre-covid levels, which they seem to be working on.
    Last edited by MajorLiggs; 5th November 2021 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by veelove View Post
    What exactly makes you think they are entitled to becoming citizens of NZ without actually meeting the conditions for citizenship?
    Same as on-off residency visa, they eased the hard things here

No Long wait to get CO
    No several times English test and no cost
    No headache to collect previous experience and reference
    No headache to get PCC

But who got residency earlier the conditions were different?

While I understand why you would like to become a citizen ASAP, it does not (and should not) work like that. To be a citizen you should really prove your commitment to the country and I think it should stay that way, no shortcuts. NZ rules are already fairly mild, some European countries demand 10 years residency and you must give up any other citizenships.
    It would be great if they could work on reducing the backlog and thus processing times. But other than that I think the system is fair.

edit: And remember that the "one-off" visa is exactly that. One off. Not happening in the future again. And it should in no way impact the speed of being eligible for citizenship.
    Last edited by veelove; 5th November 2021 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by veelove View Post
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorLiggs View Post
    I think regarding citizenship, current residents and PR should just get inline and wait like the rest of us. Five years commitment to NZ seems fair.
    And this.

My impression of the reason for the one-off residency visa is that there were so many migrants dealing with the uncertainty of being allowed to stay or not, and businesses didn't have the usual stream of temporary workers coming in, so it met both needs. Those of us with residency aren't living under the fear of being deported, we just need to be patient.

From what I understand, once we have residency, the burden of proof is much lighter (basically confirming good character again, I think? and meeting any conditions placed on your visa in particular), so it won't be nearly as bad when we try for PR, then citizenship. Although I'm here to look up processing times since travel conditions are the only real headache left.

Quote Originally Posted by STV View Post
    Same as on-off residency visa, they eased the hard things here

No Long wait to get CO
    No several times English test and no cost
    No headache to collect previous experience and reference
    No headache to get PCC

But who got residency earlier the conditions were different?

I agree with others... can't see a clear rationale and chances are low... (Although I wish this could happen!).

In my view, with regards to citizenship, there should be some special pathway and consideration for people who were locked out of the country due to border closures and MIQ lottery.... (for those who won't be able to prove they spent enough time in NZ to quality for citizenship after 5 years from residence - because they were unable to re-/enter NZ)... but this is a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mara_visa View Post
    I agree with others... can't see a clear rationale and chances are low... (Although I wish this could happen!).

In my view, with regards to citizenship, there should be some special pathway and consideration for people who were locked out of the country due to border closures and MIQ lottery.... (for those who won't be able to prove they spent enough time in NZ to quality for citizenship after 5 years from residence - because they were unable to re-/enter NZ)... but this is a different matter.
    Yeah I agree.

I've friends who are abroad (due to family death) during Covid, who are still working for NZ companies remotely, paying NZ tax, still paying rent and all their belongings are here. Excluding this year would be an act of kindness.