Thread: Applying for a partnership residence visa from overseas during covid

Default Applying for a partnership residence visa from overseas during covid

Hi
    I am eligible for a partnership permanent residence visa (I currently live in the UK). I have acquired all the required evidence/medical etc for this and now wish to apply. On the application form it says I require an "invitation to apply" number. I therefore applied for the ITA and on the application form stated that I wished to apply for a partnership residence visa. They have issued me an ITA number but have stated that this us valid for a critical purpose visitor visa. Obviously I would prefer to apply for PR visa, and I realise that this will take longer to process.

I've now reviewed these forums and now wonder whether I can even apply for a partnership residence visa at all during covid. I realise that the offices are closed and that the application may take longer to be processed, but does that prevent me from applying?

Thanks in advance.

You need to go to the INZ website and then login in to apply for a visa - click Partner or Child Visa. Start completing the application details, and select the type of visa you want - based on what you've said it sounds like you are applying for a Residence class visa based on your partnership with a New Zealand citizen. You don't need an ITA to apply for this. However if you are intending to travel to New Zealand soon-ish, you should consider applying for the Critical Purpose VV (with your ITA) or a temporary visa based on partnership. The processing time for a residence visa can be quite lengthy (10 - 12 months), but this varies a lot depending on a variety of factors including how thorough your application is.

Thanks very much for the reply. That's really helpful.

Do you happen to know - if I apply for a residence class visa, is there a time limit for first entry into NZ? And is that time from when the visa is issued?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trebby123 View Post
    Do you happen to know - if I apply for a residence class visa, is there a time limit for first entry into NZ? And is that time from when the visa is issued?
    INZ states: "If your partner is a New Zealand citizen and the two of you have been living together outside of New Zealand for 5 years or more, you may be granted a permanent resident visa." (Emphasis mine)

Whether you are granted a resident visa or a permanent resident visa is solely at the discretion of INZ. You won't know which you are getting until it is done.

IIRC, if you are granted a resident visa, you have one year from the date it is granted to enter NZ. If it is a permanent resident visa, there is no "enter by" date.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewKiwi View Post
    INZ states: "If your partner is a New Zealand citizen and the two of you have been living together outside of New Zealand for 5 years or more, you may be granted a permanent resident visa." (Emphasis mine)

Whether you are granted a resident visa or a permanent resident visa is solely at the discretion of INZ. You won't know which you are getting until it is done.
    Actually, the criteria to grant a Permanent Resident Visa to an applicant for a Resident Visa under the Partnership Category are well defined at F2.5.1.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewKiwi View Post
    IIRC, if you are granted a resident visa, you have one year from the date it is granted to enter NZ. If it is a permanent resident visa, there is no "enter by" date.
    It is indeed one year: see R5.66.1.

Many thanks for the replies. I do meet the eligibility criteria for the permanent residence visa. It doesn't look like you can specify on the application form, so I guess I will outline on the cover letter how I meet those critera that you have helpfully linked to