Thread: Start my own business while on JSV

Question Start my own business while on JSV

Hi All;

if I get JSV? instead of searching for a job offer .. Can I work for myself(self-employed) and own or operate my own business in NZ ?

Are you talking about the Skilled Migrant Category JSV? The purpose of the SMC JSV is to give the applicant time to secure the offer of skilled employment in New Zealand. The Skilled Migrant Category visa
    isn’t designed for people who are self-employed. If you want to work in your own business, you may wish to apply for an Entrepreneur Resident Visa instead.
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa

Quote Originally Posted by esk View Post
    Hi All;

if I get JSV? instead of searching for a job offer .. Can I work for myself(self-employed) and own or operate my own business in NZ ?
    No.

The objective of the JSV is to obtain employment that meets the requirements of skilled employment for the purposes of the Skilled Migrant Category as defined in SM6. The aim of providing points for skilled employment is not met by a person undertaking employment in their own business rather than for a third party; therefore, this would ultimately result in your application for the Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa being declined per SM3.20.5.

INZ explicitly states this in a note under SM6.1, and further states that people wishing to obtain residence by establishing and operating their own business in New Zealand should instead apply under the Business categories.