Thread: New to forum started teacher registration family of 5

Default New to forum started teacher registration family of 5

Hi All,
    Thanks to those managing this great site and resource. I know the border situation is fluid but I started the process with NZ teacher registration and have a consult with Migration Associates on the calendar. Plan is to put everything in my favor if things open up we can make the move. Been on the fence for years, visited in 2011, now have 3 kids (9,3,3) and looking to live someplace more aligned with our values…not expecting paradise or utopia. Assuming I am fortunate enough to have a shot at entry, biggest concern is only getting an opportunity in AKL area which seems to be cost prohibitive. I should know in a few weeks where my qualifications and experience rate for salary purposes and my wife also has a Master’s degree as a LLPC counselor. I am STEM education consultant at the county level and in my home state qualified to teach math/science k-8 although I have been in a leadership role for sometime (43 years old).
    Just a quick intro, open to any thoughts or comments and again thanks for all the insight already present on this website.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with all your plans.

Things have changed quite a bit since COVID - both in terms of the demand for teachers and the immigration and policy requirements. You'll need to get registered as a teacher (after having your qualifications assessed, if necessary) and then start job hunting. There is only a limited opportunity to enter NZ at the moment for teachers, so you might not get a job offer for a while. It is (obviously) a very expensive process.
    The big question will be whether (if you get a job offer and a temporary visa) you'll be able to get residence. The residence category is on hold right now, and it's likely there will be big changes to it when it re-opens. People who are here now (or who can get in soon on a Critical Purpose Visitor Visa) can get residence through a special one-off visa category. For people who arrive after the border re-opens, it is very uncertain how the pathway to residence will look. It is really important to bear this in mind if you are planning to sell up and bring your family over - it's awful to see families who have been on temporary visas for years but who just can't (for whatever reason) get residence.
    Let us know how your consultation goes! Good luck.