Thread: Remote work on partnership visitor visa

Default Remote work on partnership visitor visa

Hi everyone!

I'm eventually planning to apply for the Partner of a New Zealand citizen visa but I'm not entirely sure yet whether it'd be the visitor or work visa. I know that on the visitor visa, one is not allowed to work in New Zealand but does that also include work done remotely? I'm a freelance translator which means the amount of work I do varies and I'm not on a contract - I just complete my stuff, send invoices, get paid and that's it. Is that okay to do while I'm there to ensure I continuously meet the requirement of having enough money to live on while I'm in NZ or do I have to choose between saving up that sum beforehand vs having my partner as my sponsor essentially so all the financial responsibility falls on him? If we choose the latter option and he sponsors me, could I do my work regardless or do I have to give up on it completely and financially rely on my partner?

Best regards
    Kelli

Bumping this thread up as it's been a while and I'm now in New Zealand on a WH visa and living with my partner 2 questions remain:

A) From what I gather, I can apply for a partnership work visa on the basis of being self-employed and don't need a job offer from an employer in NZ. Has anyone had experience with that - what do I need to provide to show I'm actively freelancing? Isn't being a freelancer possibly detrimental to my application as INZ wants to be sure I won't overstay my visa but I don't have a full-time job back in my home country?
    B) Repeating my first post - does staying here after being granted a Partnership visitor visa mean I can't work at all or can't do NZ-based work but freelancing is fine because it's not tied to the country, I just happen to be here while I'm doing it?

Thanks in advance!

A: A partner-sponsored work visa is granted ONLY on the basis of your being able to prove a live-in relationship with an eligible partner. (See here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...s-visa-holders and you will be able to click through for all the criteria. Also, see here https://www.google.com/search?q=site...client=gws-wiz for many old threads about what partnership proof other people have successfully used.) You don't have to be working AT ALL, or prove that you can support yourself. Although the visa is called a 'work visa', that means you will be ALLOWED to work on it, not that you HAVE to. So you don't have to show any evidence of the freelance work you are doing - it is irrelevant.
    B. I have not seen the answer to this question stated for definite by INZ - whether a freelancer doing work for companies overseas needs a work visa. My feeling is that it's safer not to do it if on a VISITOR visa of any kind. BUT the criteria for a partner-sponsored visitor visa and for a partner-sponsored work visa are very similar, so once you have the necessary evidence, in your place, I would apply for the partner-sponsored work visa.

JandM - thank you for a thorough answer, you're an absolute gem in this forum! This is good to know because until now, I was under the impression that I needed either a job offer or evidence that I'm freelancing. Appears I got it mixed up with other work visas so this is great news and in this case we'll probably go for it over visitor visa indeed. We've already been working towards having evidence for our relationship too - we just moved and while I'm not on the lease, we'll be getting a support letter from the leaser confirming that I'm indeed living there. We're opening a joint bank account at the end of this month, there's a bill in my name and we both have receipts for online furniture orders to our new address as we're both participating in the furnishing. In addition to that there's of course the usual relationship evidence like pictures, social media etc so l think we're off to a pretty solid start. I will definitely take a look at other threads well to gather more ideas since I won't be applying until later this year anyway. Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by Pingviin View Post
    I will definitely take a look at other threads well to gather more ideas since I won't be applying until later this year anyway.
    I can help with creative suggestions on evidence of cohabitation. I applied my partner work visa after just 4 months living together. I also was not on a joint lease, as my partner owns our home.

We had joint bank statements and joint bills, as you already mentioned.

I opened a TradeMe account, and had the address verified, and included that letter.

We got a pair of kittens, put the vet records in both our names, and made up an "adoption announcement" to include, along with receipts for vet care.

We flew to Wellington for a surprise party for his sister, and asked his niece to send us an invitation addressed to both of us, and included that along with our boarding passes, and some receipts and pics from while we were there.

I got my NZ driver license and, although I kept my address off the license for security, I included the paperwork from VTNZ that it was mailed with to show proof of address.

I included just 2 letters of support, one from a long-time friend and one from a family member. (quality over quantity)

If you have any questions, I am happy to share what I did!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewKiwi View Post
    I can help with creative suggestions on evidence of cohabitation.
    a
    Thank you so much for responding! Some great tips here, definitely doing the TradeMe thing. I'm working through nz road code as well but since I've never had a drivers license before, it's proably going to take a bit longer for me but who knows, maybe I'll be able to include proof of learners in my application We've already picked out people doing the support letters as well and will limit them to 2-3. Since we started out as long distance, I'm probably going to include boarding passes from my partner visiting me before I moved to nz as evidence of our relationship extending some time back. I'm always thinking of things that I could use for my application so when something comes along, I note it down so I wouldn't forget to use it later.