Thread: Potential Job Offer $90-$95k central Auckland

Default Potential Job Offer $90-$95k central Auckland

Hi all, it appears that I have a job offer but nothing is official, $90k. I never intended on landing in Auckland for cost of housing, traffic enforcement etc. 3 kids, wife and myself. Looks like a great organization but I don’t see how the finances line up, they mentioned just commenting in would put me in a better price point but I don’t know commute times look like. Lifestyle is important (not commuting all day, $ for a baby sitter once in a while). Anyone with young kids live in or around Auckland, thoughts on that salary and any thoughts on waiting for a similar opportunity in a different location. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also, I hope all are well with Covid now impacting NZ, thanks for any comments.

You don’t mention if you are a single or dual income family? $90k as a single income in Auckland is tough. Look at property rental prices on trademe.co.nz… for something somewhere nice you could end up paying more than half the $5,777 take home after taxes. Then look at Pak n Save or shop.countdown.co.nz and check out food prices, do a standard weekly shop for your family… you don’t mention what you do, so can’t comment on similar opportunity in a different location, might not be available.

You have kids, so when considering areas look up schools in the catchment and check the decile rating… decile doesn’t indicate how good the school is but tells you the socioeconomics of the community (and helps set the mark for funding). 1-10 with 10 being “best”.