Thread: Visa View issue

Default Visa View issue

Hello peeps!

I am writing today to share with you a curious thing that happened to me this year. First of all, a brief summary of my current immigration history. I arrived to NZ in 2017 with a work to residence visa. I became a Permanent Resident in 2019 without major issues. Thus, I have been happily living here for the last 5 years.

A couple of months ago, and just by coincidence, I discovered that my Permanent Resident visa was not showing up in the Visa View system. I called INZ (call center) to inquire about this and they told me the following things:
    1. Last time I entered the country, coming back from a 10-days holiday in Feb 2020, border control issued a new permanent residence visa to my name. This new PR has that day as start date and is single-entry. They explained to me that this is very weird but apparently happens from time to time.
    2. My real PR is still the one I got in 2019, it is still valid and showing up in the main INZ system (AMS?) with the correct date and re-entries.
    3. They can see both of the PRs in their system (AMS?), the real one and the border control one. As far as I understand, right now I kind of have two active PRs at the same time.
    4. The Visa View system is "confused" (cannot handle well this 2 PRs situation) and it is showing/holding the information of the border control PR. Thus, I have to search my visa details using the border control PR start date (Feb 2020 instead of 2019). Nothing will show up if I introduce my real PR start date, which is what I was doing.
    5. I don't really need to do anything, this will "fix itself" next time I leave the country. What will happen is that the border control PR will stop being valid because it is single-entry and my real PR information (which will still be valid) will start showing up in Visa View automatically. I would be going back to just having one PR.
    6. I can fix this without leaving the country but there is no official procedure/form to do this. I have to send a letter to INZ explaining the situation plus my visa label and a certified copy of my passport via post to the Manukau center.

I obviously want to fix this at some point. The Visa View system is used in some places (banks, landlords, employers) and I don't want to be constantly explaining everybody to not use the start date stated in my visa label and use the other one instead.

I don't have plans of leaving the country anytime soon so I decided to go with the other option INZ offered. Because there is no official procedure/form for fixing this and also because it is already a very abnormal situation, I decided to hire a lawyer to help me with this. He has been in communication with INZ about this since mid-Jan this year. As far as I understand, he filed a "change your personal information" with some sort of explanation of the situation in Jan 20ish. Approx. a month ago my lawyer told me that INZ had fixed the issue and showed me that the AMS system was showing my real PR info with all the correct information (note aside, I was actually surprised that he had access to AMS). I assume that he was seeing both PRs in AMS before and he wanted to show me that now there was only one there. Sadly, this did not fix the Visa View problem so he went back to INZ and the process is still going.

Have you ever heard of somebody that went through something similar?

Regards!
    Last edited by augustoaltman; 31st March 2022 at 09:28 PM.

I've never heard of this myself, but I would have taken the option of a weekend (or a week) away in the Cook Islands...

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    I've never heard of this myself, but I would have taken the option of a weekend (or a week) away in the Cook Islands...
    That must be cheaper than the lawyer!