Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Change your name while waiting for citizenship application to be approved

Quote Originally Posted by HansNZ View Post
    What would be the "current name" in the citizen application form if someone has changed his/her name in NZ but still uses the existing overseas passport (with the old name on it) at the time of submission? Is it the name in the passport (I.e. the old name) or the new one?
    The "current name" is exactly that: whatever the person's current name is. The citizenship application form also asks for previous names used, and evidence of all name changes must be provided (e.g. marriage certificate, name change certificate, divorce record).

In my partner's case, when we apply in the first half of 2024, she will enter her married name (as that is the name she is currently using) on the application form, fill in her maiden name in the section of the form asking for any previous name used, and provide our foreign marriage certificate as supporting evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    The "current name" is exactly that: whatever the person's current name is. The citizenship application form also asks for previous names used, and evidence of all name changes must be provided (e.g. marriage certificate, name change certificate, divorce record).

In my partner's case, when we apply in the first half of 2024, she will enter her married name (as that is the name she is currently using) on the application form, fill in her maiden name in the section of the form asking for any previous name used, and provide our foreign marriage certificate as supporting evidence.
    Thanks Kelerei. Is her maiden name (I.e the "old name") is on her passport?

Quote Originally Posted by HansNZ View Post
    Thanks Kelerei. Is her maiden name (I.e the "old name") is on her passport?
    Previous passports yes, but her married name is on both of her current passports (she has two passports due to dual citizenship).

Quote Originally Posted by Sackboy View Post
    Hi ht8990,

If you don’t mind sharing, how did you get the information if a C/O has picked up your citizenship application?

Did you ring the DIA or did you get an email from the DIA?
    I called DIA to check the status of my application and was informed that a CO is working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ht8990 View Post
    I called DIA to check the status of my application and was informed that a CO is working on it.
    have you decided what you're going to do? change name and wait?

I see, I'll give that a try too. Mine's been more than a year now, so I think it's worth checking.

Has anyone applied for a name change recently? How long is the whole process? TIA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12