Thread: Resident to Permanent Resident & Renewing Passport

Smile Resident to Permanent Resident & Renewing Passport

Hi Guys,
    Need help with a couple of things i.e. Resident to Permanent Resident & Renewing Passport.
    Any help will be appreciated. 😊

I received my Resident Visa on 27 September 2020 & is eligible to apply for PRV on 27/09/2022.
    Passport Expiring: 23/12/2023
    Travel Plans: Mid Dec 2022 to Mid Feb 2022

I am aware the current processing time for RV to PR is 4-5 months. There are less chances of me getting PRV before December 2022 if applied in September (travelling overseas mid Dec to mid Feb). What are my best options to be on the safer side?
    1. Shall I apply for a 6-month RV extension before leaving the country? Can it be extended further if I get stuck overseas? (In case of another historical event in the world)
    2. Can I apply for extension prior to the expiry of my RV?
    3. Can I apply for the RV extension & PRV at the same time?
    4. Can I request for a fast processing of my PRV if I have an excuse (or reason) for overseas travel?
    5. As mentioned above my passport is expiring next year in December 2023, shall I stay on the extended RV & wait until I come back, renew my passport & then apply for PR on a new passport?

Thank you again for your time & advice.

Quote Originally Posted by SSS93 View Post
    1. Shall I apply for a 6-month RV extension before leaving the country? Can it be extended further if I get stuck overseas? (In case of another historical event in the world)
    The only thing that I can mention to you that isn't within the realm of immigration advice is that there are generally presence requirements for obtaining a variation of travel conditions. Most people would apply for a 12-month variation of travel conditions, to which RV3.5 applies. In the event of a Resident Visa expiring while abroad, the grant of a second or subsequent Resident Visa is dependent on whether requirements for a variation of travel conditions or a Permanent Resident Visa was met at specific time periods (RV4.10), so there's an implied presence requirement there. As such, do not expect to be able to extend your travel conditions indefinitely while abroad.

There were special directions made to extend the travel conditions of people who were stuck overseas during the pandemic (here's an example), but given that Covid is now more endemic than pandemic, I would not expect any further such special directions to be made.

I will also mention that it is sometimes possible to obtain a Permanent Resident Visa after a Resident Visa is expired, provided that one acts quickly. See the general requirements for a Permanent Resident Visa at RV2.5, and in particular RV2.5(a)(ii).

Finally, I will also mention that a 6-month variation of travel conditions does not exist. The most common situation is a 12-month variation of travel conditions by meeting the requirements of RV3.5 (linked above). There are some special provisions for a 24-month variation of travel conditions, documented at RV3.15 and RV3.20. If none of the above applies, a 14-day variation of travel conditions must be granted to an applicant within New Zealand (RV3.10).

2. Can I apply for extension prior to the expiry of my RV?
    Travel conditions may be varied if your Resident Visa remains valid (RV3.1(b)). If your Resident Visa is no longer valid, you will likely need to look at a second or subsequent Resident Visa instead (RV4).

3. Can I apply for the RV extension & PRV at the same time?
    The INZ 1176 guide answers this; see under the "What will happen if I apply under the wrong category?" heading.

4. Can I request for a fast processing of my PRV if I have an excuse (or reason) for overseas travel?
    Several people here in similar situations have submitted a cover letter, outlying travel dates and the reasons for travel. Whether or not you will be prioritised as a consequence is at INZ's discretion.

5. As mentioned above my passport is expiring next year in December 2023, shall I stay on the extended RV & wait until I come back, renew my passport & then apply for PR on a new passport?
    I am leaving this question unanswered; I do not believe that I can answer it without crossing over into the realm of providing immigration advice, which I am legally not permitted to do.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 13th June 2022 at 03:38 PM.

I'll also share some of my previous plans regarding my own personal circumstances.

Back when I received my Resident Visa in 2019, I realised that there was a reasonable possibility that I might be offshore at around the time that my travel conditions were to expire. As such, I came up with this plan of action:

• Apply for a variation of travel conditions 3-4 months in advance of the travel conditions expiring. This would cover the reasonable possibility of me being offshore when the original travel conditions were to expire.
    • Apply for a Permanent Resident Visa as soon as I met the criteria, even if offshore at the time (and yes, one can do this).

Of course, Covid then happened, and I consequently never bothered with the variation of travel conditions and simply applied for a Permanent Resident Visa as soon as I was eligible.

I can speak to option number 4, yes it's possible, as we just received our PR today - less than 3 weeks after mailing it in! My advisor said she could get it prioritized if we included our plane tickets and typed up a cover letter explaining the rush, then she called INZ 2 weeks after I mailed it to request priority processing. Definitely speak to an advisor and see if they can do this for you, it's probably more effective than trying the call center yourself.

In our case, we had to wait for renewed passports before we could apply, but I don't think you necessarily have to renew yours yet if there's still a good year left on it. You will however have to apply for your visa to be transferred whenever you get a fresh passport.

Related to the passport, in my case, my daughter’s passport would expire in Aug/22, but I was eligible to apply for PR in Mar/22. I applied with her old passport to get our process in the queue and in parallel we renewed her passport and sent after to be include in the process. PR has been issued in the new passport and we will not need to request a further transfer from the old to the new (I just decided to renew before expiration date because we would like to travel to overseas too and I thought that renewing in Aug plus transfer time could be tight). I have had no problems or delay to include the new passport.
    But you have plenty of time for renewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nath View Post
    Related to the passport, in my case, my daughter’s passport would expire in Aug/22, but I was eligible to apply for PR in Mar/22. I applied with her old passport to get our process in the queue and in parallel we renewed her passport and sent after to be include in the process. PR has been issued in the new passport and we will not need to request a further transfer from the old to the new (I just decided to renew before expiration date because we would like to travel to overseas too and I thought that renewing in Aug plus transfer time could be tight). I have had no problems or delay to include the new passport.
    But you have plenty of time for renewing.
    Oh that's interesting! Was the old passport expired or not? We were advised that we couldn't apply until getting the new passport, but they had already expired by then.

Thank you very much Kelerei, Juniper & Nath. That's a lot of helpful information. appreciate that!

Thank you very much Kelerei, Juniper & Nath. That's a lot of helpful information. appreciate that!
    Good luck!

Thanks for the info, I will keep it in my mind.