Thread: Extending dependant child resident visa

Default Extending dependant child resident visa

Hi,

Does anyone know if you can apply to extend a dependent child resident visa who isn't in NZ?

Story

My partner and her daughter both were granted resident visas in 2020. My partner was in NZ and her daughter was in Thailand when they applied and were granted resident visas.

We had planned to bring her daughter here to live but then because of covid we had to put our plans on hold. We had flights booked for 2 weeks after the first lock down.

My partner has just been granted PR but we couldn't put her daughter on the application as her passport was due to expire and she can't renew it until my partner goes back to Thailand to do it, so we left her daughter off the PR application. Her daughter got an automatic 6 month extension which runs out in September.

My partner is going to go to Thailand in January next year to renew her daughters passport and hopefully bring her back here to live with us and i'm hoping that we can extend her daughters resident visa for 6 months so we don't need to apply and pay for a brand new resident visa for her. (over $2000).

Has anyone else been in this situation?

I should add that her daughter hasn't been in NZ since she was granted residence.

Can't find the info on INZ website and due to high volume of calls they won't put me through to speak to someone.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

First entry travel conditions can not be varied, as per R5.66.1(b). There have been some special directions to extend these as part of the COVID-19 response (see here), but as the New Zealand border is now opening up again, it is unlikely that any further such special direction will be forthcoming.

If your daughter fails to travel to New Zealand within the validity of her first entry travel conditions, a new application for a resident class visa will need to be submitted. There is no alternative option.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 28th July 2022 at 03:04 PM. Reason: link to special direction made on 22 August 2021

Thanks Kelerei