Thread: Visitor Visa duration

Default Visitor Visa duration

Hi everyone,

I will be applying a visitor Visa for my father soon once the borders fully open. My father is an Indian citizen, has made just one international trip in life which was to NZ back in 2019. This time when we apply, we would like him to get a 6 month long Visa so we get time to do some trips in the country. My question is how does INZ decide or how can we convey to them that we would like a 6 month long visitor Visa?

Last time too I mentioned in the application that we would like a 6 month long Visa but they still just gave him a 3 month long visa.

So keen to know how we can manage the duration of the visitor Visa this time?

Quote Originally Posted by param912003 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I will be applying a visitor Visa for my father soon once the borders fully open. My father is an Indian citizen, has made just one international trip in life which was to NZ back in 2019. This time when we apply, we would like him to get a 6 month long Visa so we get time to do some trips in the country. My question is how does INZ decide or how can we convey to them that we would like a 6 month long visitor Visa?

Last time too I mentioned in the application that we would like a 6 month long Visa but they still just gave him a 3 month long visa.

So keen to know how we can manage the duration of the visitor Visa this time?
    You could Apply for a Parent visa which is valid for 3 years and under this 3 years (if approved) your parent can visit and stay in NZ for upto 6 months & then be outta the country for 6months . I’ll be applying too for my mum .

Here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...y-visitor-visa is the INZ page with information about the Parent/Grandparent Visitor Visa.

There are many old threads on the forum about details of parent/grandparent applications - do a Search. (You could Google, using <<site:enz.org>> then whatever terms you're looking for, as we find Google gives more finely tuned results than the forum's own search.)

Thanks for the links. I don't want to go down there parent/Grand parent visitor Visa path because of the medicals. My father is 75 and just in case they find a blip in the reports, inz will create a mountain out of a molehill. This might impact his visitor Visa applications in future as well so not wanting to risk it.

Any tips on the duration of visitor visa and how we can influence that at the time of applying? Thanks

I don't know of anything beyond what you've already done - ask nicely - you can do to influence the length of visa at the time of application.

However, see here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/know...-question-1112 There is the option for getting some more time by applying when your father is already in the country.

Thanks JandM. Appreciate your expertise as always