Thread: Can PhD students apply for Green List Straight to Residency Visa ?

Question Can PhD students apply for Green List Straight to Residency Visa ?

Greetings,

I've been reading through the new green list straight to residency visa in detail, but could not find information on what type of visa one should hold in order to apply for it. I was wondering for instance, if a PhD student, who works full-time and meets all the requirements, can apply for it ? I am asking this question because PhD students were not allowed to apply for one-off and 2021 resident visas.

To the best of my knowledge, this information cannot be found anywhere, including the application form. So would it be correct for me to assume that a PhD student on a student visa that meets all the requirements can apply for green list straight to residency visa? ( For those who are not familiar, PhD students have unlimited working rights )

Any opinion is much appreciated,
    Cheers.

It looks like the green list is based on occupation not visa status, you would need to have a job or job offer as an "Electronics engineer" or "Veterinarian" etc.

Source: https://www.beehive.govt.nz/sites/de...0%28002%29.pdf

A summary of the requirements can be found at SR2.5. There is no requirement to hold a specific visa beforehand for Straight to Residence: this is intentional by INZ, to allow those who meet Tier 1 Green List requirements to apply for their Resident Visa directly while still offshore. Note though that the employment (or offer thereof) in a Tier 1 Green List role must meet the requirements laid out at SR2.10.

If it's only Tier 2 on the Green List, then Straight to Residence is not an option, and you'll need to take the Work to Residence route instead. Here, there is a requirement to hold the Accredited Employer Work Visa beforehand (or an earlier Work Visa obtained before the Accredited Employer Work Visa came into force on 4 July 2022): see SR3.5. This is also required if taking the Highly Paid route per SR4.5.

So, to summarize: it is possible for a PhD student to go straight to residence, but that person must hold acceptable employment in a Tier 1 Green List occupation to do so.

EDIT: Here's a link to the current Green List.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 6th September 2022 at 05:02 PM.

much appreciated. thank you.
    Last edited by Pouya; 6th September 2022 at 05:46 PM.

Hi,

I have another relevant question. If someone comes on a student visa for level 8 diploma or Masters degree, and if that person during his studies finds a job in accredited employer, can he/she switch to Accredited employer work visa from student visa?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by manutd View Post
    Hi,

I have another relevant question. If someone comes on a student visa for level 8 diploma or Masters degree, and if that person during his studies finds a job in accredited employer, can he/she switch to Accredited employer work visa from student visa?

Regards
    See here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...oyer-work-visa for the INZ factsheet about this visa. If you meet the criteria, there is no reason why you should not apply. But remember, you can't begin to work unless and until the visa is granted, so the employer would have to be prepared to wait during the processing of your application. Also, you would need to continue with your studies while you wait, because if you stop, you would invalidate your student visa and no longer be legal in NZ.