Thread: Access to Mobile Phone while in Transit

Default Access to Mobile Phone while in Transit

Hi.

When we leave the UK, I will lose my UK phone provider ( its tied into our home phone and broadband) and phone number.
    We will be spending a week or so in Singapore on the way, but all our travel docs ( e-tickets, vaccine info, accomodation bookings) etc will need to be accessed through my phone.

A UK sim with roaming charges is quite expensive, and Ive seen mention on here ( somewhere) about buying a NZ Vodaphone sim before we go and using that. Has anyone done this, and how did you find it? Im a bit concerned about how long it will take to set up and where I can get hold of one while we are still in the UK.

Any info ( especially from people who have done this recently), would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Jo

You have a few options:

1. You can print all of your documents

2. You can save or take screenshost of all of your documents, and keep that in your phone or laptop

3. You can buy a sim card in Duty free area before customs, and

4. I believe there is free WIFI in that area of the airport

I suggest you use the Contact Us link on this page, https://www.vodafone.co.nz/, to see if there's anything Vodafone NZ can do for you before you travel.

This site is awesome: it lists prepaid SIM cards by country, the options on offer, and where to get a sim. I use it all the time. For a week in Singapore, I would try to find a high data prepaid plan that doesn't require a contract. If you set up a NZ mobile plan you'll pay $7-10 per day to roam in most places, so for a week not great value.

Thanks people. Vodaphone (both in the UK and in NZ ) were rather unhelpful Im afraid. The Sim wiki site was very informative.
    My own service provider will off me 'roaming' of a sort, so may end up sticking with them. Will do some more research once we have definitive dates. Cheers.

@Kiwijo we always buy a local sim if we're somewhere more than a few days. E.g just been to Thailand and bought a sim with 10Gb data for about 6EUR.
    Singapore has similar offers. This is much cheaper than roaming and you can still use Whatsapp/Signal/... with your original number to communicate.