Thread: Citizenship timeline and international travel

Default Citizenship timeline and international travel

Hi all,

This is a very niche question but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

We were notified that our citizenship was approved in August, pending ceremony attendance, and earlier today received an invitation to a ceremony on 4 October. My concern is that we have a trip to Australia booked for 21 October (returning 15 November). I don't think it will be possible for us to get NZ passports before we travel and I seem to recall that there can be an "issue" when your citizenship is approved but a NZ Passport is not yet obtained. I think it's something to do with the residence visa associated with our other passports being cancelled? Does anyone know more about the requirements and what I should do (and/or where to look on the government websites)?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by bht View Post
    Hi all,

This is a very niche question but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

We were notified that our citizenship was approved in August, pending ceremony attendance, and earlier today received an invitation to a ceremony on 4 October. My concern is that we have a trip to Australia booked for 21 October (returning 15 November). I don't think it will be possible for us to get NZ passports before we travel and I seem to recall that there can be an "issue" when your citizenship is approved but a NZ Passport is not yet obtained. I think it's something to do with the residence visa associated with our other passports being cancelled? Does anyone know more about the requirements and what I should do (and/or where to look on the government websites)?

There is urgent passport processing which comes in 3 days for extra fees so, if it's urgent you might be able to able obtain once you get citizenship certificate

You can check in website for more information here

Hope it helps
    https://www.passports.govt.nz/urgent-travel/

Quote Originally Posted by bht View Post
    Hi all,

You're correct in that, when you become a New Zealand citizen, your current residence class visa will be cancelled. The issue is more for people offshore at the time they become citizens as they therefore would have issues returning to New Zealand (one reason why one should always keep the Citizenship Office abreast of travel plans!). Of course, that was more of a potential issue when citizenship ceremonies were waived due to Covid-19; now that they're back, this is probably less likely to occur. For people onshore like yourself, it's even less of an issue -- as Smilechaitu said, paying double for urgent passport processing is an option.

Hi Team,

I received my Residency Visa on 24 June 2019. And as we know that Citizenship takes around 1 year to process.
    Can I apply for my citizenship on 24 June 2023? Only spent 30days out of NZ since then and not planning to do any in future.
    or what is the latest day I should apply for it so that I get into the queue and shoten the waiting time

Quote Originally Posted by ashu3690 View Post
    or what is the latest day I should apply for it so that I get into the queue and shoten the waiting time
    This will be the first day that you meet all requirements to be granted citizenship, in their entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by ashu3690 View Post
    Hi Team,

I received my Residency Visa on 24 June 2019. And as we know that Citizenship takes around 1 year to process.
    Can I apply for my citizenship on 24 June 2023? Only spent 30days out of NZ since then and not planning to do any in future.
    I think you should have had residence for atleast 4years and 8 months with no travel in that time.