Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partner of a NZer Resident Visa.

Default Partner of a NZer Resident Visa.

Hello. I am a Kiwi citizen (born and bred) and have lived here in the US with my (American) wife for 22 years.

She just completed and paid for her "Partner of a New Zealander Resident Visa" application. All ok.

We are planning on moving permanently to NZ Dec 1.

Q------Will she be ok on a one-way ticket to NZ?

I'm presuming that we'll inform the Immigration Officer at Auckland Airport of her application and case number and bring along evidence of financial self-support.

Q------And regarding her Electronic Travel Authority, will her Visa application or one-way ticket impact that in any way? She hasn't done the ETA yet.

Q--------In fact, will she even need an ETA if she's applied for residency?

Thanks for any help, this is a great knowledge hub!
    Last edited by Alyinsanfran; 18th October 2022 at 12:15 PM.

To clarify, your current plan is to move to NZ before receiving notification from INZ that your wife’s residency visa has been approved?

Yes.
    Last edited by Alyinsanfran; 18th October 2022 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyinsanfran View Post
    This image is blurry, but I think you are referring to people who are already in NZ with a visa such as skilled migrant and are applying to get the residency visa. This is a tricky situation; someone correct me if I am wrong but in order to enter the country you need to have a visa or an ETA. The issue with an ETA is it is only good for 90 days and then you have to leave the country.

So, she will need a visitor visa to stay in NZ for 9 months while the application is processed?

If so, and she applies for a visitor visa now, but if necessary travels to NZ on a ETA (3 months) would that work to guve INZ time to process the visitor visa?

I guess we thought that applying for a Partner of a New Zealander resident visa would automatically give her the equivalent of a visitor visa, to stay in NZ until the residency is approved.
    Last edited by Alyinsanfran; 18th October 2022 at 05:42 PM.

In which case, she would have to travel on an ETA with proof she’ll leave inside 3 months? If we did this, is it acceptable to go to Aus and back at the end of the 3 months?

We’re just realising how backwards we’ve done this. Not good.

So she’s applying for a visitor visa right now. Any ideas on how long they take to be approved etc?

The INZ website says a Partner of NZer Visitor Visa takes 17 months to be processed!
    Last edited by Alyinsanfran; 18th October 2022 at 07:39 PM.

I am getting out of my realm of experience here and not allowed to offer specific advice as you need to consult a trained professional for that. However, the standard visitor visa (https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a/visitor-visa) takes around 51 days to process as per the website.

It also states, "You can apply for another 3 months’ stay and extend your stay to 12 months in a 24-month period, if you’ve applied for residence for the first time."

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast