Thread: EOI/PR or WTR Visa

Default EOI/PR or WTR Visa

Wondered if anyone might be able to offer a quick guide as to the pros and cons of these two ways of getting across to NZ and into work.

At the minute, my family and I are just in the very early stages of this emigration lark (EOI 90% completed). There's three of us (me, the missus and a baby daughter) and we're currently on 120 points with no job offer. I work in IT and it looks like any sort of job offer would take us well past the magic 140, but I'm realistic and whilst it would be lovely to secure a job offer with a hefty relocation package without even leaving the UK, I know this may not be possible so would be prepared to try other means of getting in.

But there are just so many questions. Should I ababndon the EOI route right now and just look at WTR? Would submitting an EOI make the alternative WTR route that much more difficult than if we just used that approach from day 1? Gawd who knows all this stuff.....

Another question, we really don't want to be moving out for at least another 12-18 months, so whould we be holding back for a while, or will it all take that long that we should be getting on with stuff sharpish?

Thanks in advance.........

If I remember correctly, you need a job offer from an accredited employer to be able to apply for WTR visa.

As far as i am aware Nienke is correct on applying for a WTR from here in UK.

However i think i am also right in saying (as been suggested as option for myself) that if you was to go to NZ on a holiday/visit (with family etc or without) fully prepared with CVs and documents etc then you could job hunt and if succesful i beileve its fairly straightforward then going the nearest NZIS office and getting a Works visa when then would give you time to settle in, get your feet and apply for the PR from within NZ.

I am not a total expert on this but its been suggested to myself and confirmed its a method of option.

I am pretty much in same boat as you, had my EOI ready to submit for weeks but still umming and arhhhing as to which way to turn. Think i am going to submit mine whatever and still look at the NZ route.

If you are not ready to move for another year or so, I would say you have time to do that visit with the C.V.s in hand. It would also be nice to be able to check the place out and make sure you like it.

There is a major catch when you apply for PR early, they can give you a WTR visa instead with a very short timeframe for you to get over and get a job (six months I think). I doubt you would have that happen to you since you are in IT, and they know there are jobs for you over there (that is one of the major parts of them making the decision of PR or WTR).

Another possibility is that points may go down again. They were at 100 for a very long time and have just gone up, but there is still a major braindrain going on with people leave for Oz, so it could go down again in 9 months or something, who knows?

UK folks here have had trouble selling their house quickly. If you will have to sell a house to leave for NZ, you might think about doing that before you do much else.

Default Just a point

I would like to make a small point from the 15/2/2006 selection:

• 361 EOIs were selected that had a points total of 140 or above;

• 146 EOIs were selected that had a points total of 100 or more but less than 140, and included points for offers of skilled employment or current skilled employment in New Zealand.

• 104 EOIs were selected that had a points total of 130 or more but less than 140, and included 15 points for work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage.

This was the first selection under the New Immigration policy. Notice that they dropped the bench to 130 points without even having a job offer. This was after the pool had not had a selection in 90 days.

While a job offer very much helps your chances The Department of Labour has goals that it has to meet. Which is why the new policy is so flexible but yet helps meet a political agenda of setting new Immigration Policy. I believe we will see dips below 130 over the next few months as the new policy clashes with quota. The new policy is an attempt to have your cake and eat it too or another way of putting quality first but still meeting your overal statiscal objectives.

But if the selection point drops to 120 and your name is not in the pool then you will not be selected. I know it's a gamble but your name will stay in the pool for 6 months and the reward seems to be greater than the risk.

Please not this is not the case if you do not have work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage.

Default Down to 125!!

The following EOIs were selected:

All those at or above 140 points = 386 EOIs
    All those with a job or job offer claiming total points between 100 and 135 points = 94 EOIs
    All those claiming 15 points for work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage and claiming total points between 125 and 135 points = 99 EOIs
    Total selection = 579 EOIs

It's down to 125 and they only selected 579 EOIs. That's way short from the target of 1000! I bet it will dip just a bit more soon. Best of luck to everyone who is in the pool.