Thread: Partner Visitor or Work Visa

Default Partner Visitor or Work Visa

I and my wife lived together in New Zealand for 12months on partner work visa.We left New Zealand in Covid but could not get back into New Zealand due to border restriction and my wife work visa expired.
    I am NZ citizen. Not sure what type of visa i should apply for my wife now? Partner or general visitor visa to get back into country? and then i would have to give all evidence of our partnership and living together? Should i be in New Zealand when i apply for her visitor or work visa now? Or I can apply for her work visa while I am overseas as well

Thanks in advance

There is a restriction on what advice you can receive from a non-trained professional. However, there are lots of options for your partner. The real question is what your partner trying to accomplish?

Does your partner want to be a resident, then a Partner of a NZ Citizen Resident visa (https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa)

Just visiting for a while? A general visitor visa (https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a/visitor-visa).

Going to work while you are here through partnership? Perhaps a Partner of a New Zealander Work Visa (https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...s-visa-holders)

Lots of options, your partner just needs to do the research or consult a trained professional on what is the right path. Keep in mind, this is an application for your partner, not for yourself.

Bear in mind that if your wife applies for a general visitor visa at this stage, it could look to INZ as though your partnership has broken down, which would cause difficulties for future partnership-based applications.

Also, a visitor visa is only intended for those making a temporary, time-limited visit to NZ, after which they will return to an established life in some other country. A visitor visa is not to be used for other situations for which someone is not able to get an appropriate visa quickly.

Yes, you will have to re-supply evidence of partnership, which you have done before, to show that you're still living together in a committed relationship. It's likely that INZ will then ask for MORE evidence just before the visa is issued, to check that the relationship is still in place during the time of processing.

Partner-sponsored visas can be applied for from anywhere

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...s-visa-holders

@JandM why would INZ think relationship has broken down if you use the GVV pathway?

They use GVV when partners in a relationship don’t have enough living together evidence and the pathway is very well documented within Visa Paks…

INZ can decide to use the GVV as a get-round in a not-quite-in-the-regulations situation, but applicants don't have that convenience. The suggestion needs to come from INZ.

This circular provides guidelines to INZ staff on how general Visitor Visas for people who don't meet partnership criteria should be assessed. May be worth the read.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    This circular provides guidelines to INZ staff on how general Visitor Visas for people who don't meet partnership criteria should be assessed. May be worth the read.
    It’s this circular, right?

Quote Originally Posted by allune View Post
    It’s this circular, right?
    That's the one. I clearly posted before my morning cup of coffee and forgot to link it...