Hey all

Currently working on a move to NZ.

I was just looking through this post: https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27498

I'm curious how bringing the kegs -- or really any homebrewing equipment -- worked out for anyone that immigrated to NZ.

We're still working out and finalizing the move logistics, but we did have the moving company's surveyor come through the house a couple days ago.

One of the stand-out conversations I had with him pertained to my homebrewing gear. At that particular moment, I was gesturing to a few ball-lock kegs that I have.

He called attention to the small CO2 bottles I had standing right next to them. Long story short, I'm going to be gifting the CO2 bottles to a friend of mine.

But the ball-lock kegs themselves?

I mentioned to him that I planned to give those (another) thorough cleaning with Star San solution, likely leaving a bit inside to ensure cleanliness. (Maybe emptying them as best as I can might be best, but I doubt I'll be able to get them 100% dry.) My take on this is that beer residue is a much more serious concern than Star San residue.

He still seemed concerned, and said something about chemicals. I had to underscore that Star San is a food-safe sanitizer; it has to be, due to the fact that beer in the same container could carry tiny bits of whatever cleaning agent is used.

This particular interaction concluded with him more or less cautioning me about whatever liquid chemicals I might decide to bring along.

It was a bit disheartening, to be honest.

So now I'm looking for additional thoughts on this, hopefully from anyone who has gone down this path themselves.

I should hasten to add that I'm very much the type to conclude that a bad outcome, no matter how unlikely, no matter the fact that the scenario in question isn't a match for said outcome, will be a likely outcome for me. Hence my nickname.