Thread: Permanent Residency Application Q's

Default Permanent Residency Application Q's

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of applying for my Permanent Residency and have a couple of questions...

1. Do I have to submit police certificates for the 2 countries I've lived in prior? I submitted these in August of 2020 for my Partnership Residency Visa, so they're well over 2 years old. The INZ website makes it seem like anyone over 17 years old must submit them, but I've seen that you only need to do this in *some* cases.

2. This is going to sound like such a silly question, but it seems like I'm not submitting much at all for this application? INZ has my NZ police records, evidence of my time spent in the country (which is my evidence of commitment to NZ), and evidence I've met my visa conditions, so I feel like I'm not submitting much else other than the form, partnership visa, and the passport & photos. Am I missing something here?

I guess just compared to the partnership visa which had hundreds of documents, this one feels oddly easy!

Thanks for any help!!

Update: Answered my own questions, but don't know how to delete this thread!

If anyone's wondering, from what INZ told me over the phone, you don't need to submit police records from the get-go when applying for PR but they may ask for them while processing your application.

And yes, it really is that simple filing for PR (compared to Partnership, anyway).

I don't think this thread needs deleting - what you've found out can reassure other people later, so thank you!

What do you mean by "so I feel like I'm not submitting much else other than the form, partnership visa, and the passport & photos"?
    Can you explain what you're submitting in relation to your partnership visa?

It sounds like it wouldn't hurt to include the police certificates from the get go, just to make it quicker to process.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesonacloud View Post
    What do you mean by "so I feel like I'm not submitting much else other than the form, partnership visa, and the passport & photos"?
    Can you explain what you're submitting in relation to your partnership visa?
    Evidence of the applicant's current or previous residence class visa or visas is a mandatory lodgement requirement, per RV1.10.10(d). Acceptable evidence thereof is documented in RV1.15.1; note that this includes INZ's own records.

It sounds like it wouldn't hurt to include the police certificates from the get go, just to make it quicker to process.
    While not strictly required at time of lodgement (per A5.5(b), an applicant for a Permanent Resident Visa is only required to submit a foreign police certificate if specifically requested to by an Immigration Officer), RV1.10.10 allows you to submit any information, submissions or evidence that you consider shows that you are eligible for the grant of a Permanent Resident Visa.

Note that you are not required to submit a New Zealand police certificate: INZ will, upon lodgement of your application, obtain this on your behalf.

Hi Kelerei, thank you for the explanation and for taking the time to include a link to the relevant sections in the operation manual.

How do you ideally attach the two photos, is there a preferred method? Paperclip, stapler or just loosely in the envelope?

How do you ideally attach the two photos, is there a preferred method? Paperclip, stapler or just loosely in the envelope?
    On Section A of Form INZ1175, there is a designated space to staple the two passport photos to.