Thread: Parent visitor visa

Default Parent visitor visa

Hi all,

My wife's parents are filling out a parent visitor visa online and were wondering about one of the last questions.

They are asked for evidence of their relationship which they can provide with their marriage certificate, then in the same section they are asked for evidence they are living together and their relationship is genuine and stable, this is the part that is difficult and we were wondering if its compulsory considering the marriage certificate will be provided?

My wifes parents are married and living together in a genuine and stable relationship, the marriage is easy to prove with the marriage certificate, but proving they live together in a genuine and stable relationship will be very difficult, they are an elderly couple, their house is in their daughters name, the utility bills have just her fathers name on them.

I have no idea what they could provide to show the relationship is genuine and stable (if its required). Does anyone have some ideas or has anyone here provided only the marriage certificate for a parents visitor visa?

It seems logical that their should be no evidence required at all unless one of the parents was applying and their partner was not a parent to my wife, but as my wifes parents are still together and both of them are her actual parents they are both entitled to the visa meaning proving their relationship would be irrelevant?

Capture.jpg
    Last edited by David12345; 30th January 2023 at 06:53 AM.

See this thread https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55008, both the original poster's list of potential evidence, and my reply which gives a link to more suggestions on the site.

A marriage certificate is not evidence that a couple have a stable relationship - being rather cynical, it just proves that they were once in the same room for the time it took to perform the ceremony.

I understand your frustration on being met with this requirement, but honestly, to supply what the form asks for is going to be your quickest way to get through this. The INZ CO who has to process their application doesn't have the power to debate the logic of what is being required - they just have to tick off the evidence that the applicant supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    See this thread https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55008, both the original poster's list of potential evidence, and my reply which gives a link to more suggestions on the site.

A marriage certificate is not evidence that a couple have a stable relationship - being rather cynical, it just proves that they were once in the same room for the time it took to perform the ceremony.

I understand your frustration on being met with this requirement, but honestly, to supply what the form asks for is going to be your quickest way to get through this. The INZ CO who has to process their application doesn't have the power to debate the logic of what is being required - they just have to tick off the evidence that the applicant supplies.
    Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post

Thanks for the reply, it just seems strange that they need evidence of their relationship when they are both the parents of my wife and are both applying for the parent visitor visa. I could understand the requirement if say one of my wifes parents had a new partner he or she would like to bring to nz who was not the actual parent of my wife.