Thread: Citizenship - English language requirement

Default Citizenship - English language requirement

Hi all

We're preparing to apply for our citizenship in the coming weeks. Hope the bloody calculation would say 'Yes, I'm eligible' on the day I thought I'd be...

Now the question - I'd like to hear about people's take on the English language requirement. The thing is this definition of '1st language'. The definition says "You can answer 'yes' if you currently speak English on a daily basis".

I'd say both of us (me and my partner) would fit this definition easily and we would comfortably tick a 'yes'. However we were born overseas in a non-English-speaking country and just migrated to NZ 10 and 5 years respectively, so...

* Would this cause the application to trigger some further investigation and then the case officer would need to come back to us and ask for more docs? Ultimately causing a delay...
    * Would we be better off select a 'No' and then gather bit and pieces to support our ability to use English in everyday conversation?

Thoughts, anyone? :-)

Thanks!

Hello! I answered YES to "currently speak English on a daily basis" (sorry I cannot exactly remember what the questions were). I also provided a letter from my employer to vouch that I can speak English. They didn't contact me for any clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by KPal View Post
    Hello! I answered YES to "currently speak English on a daily basis" (sorry I cannot exactly remember what the questions were). I also provided a letter from my employer to vouch that I can speak English. They didn't contact me for any clarification.
    Thanks. Thought I will just do the same.