Thread: Very stressed... Citizenship chance with demerit points/any experience?

Default Very stressed... Citizenship chance with demerit points/any experience?

Hi All,

I become NZ resident in 2017.

In 2020, 2021, and 2022 I received one speeding ticket from the police and in February 2022 I had 105 demerit points unfortunately and my licence was suspended for three months, and now I have no demerit points (on new driving license)

When I checked the online eligibility tool, it asks if I have 100 or more demerit points in the last two years. Since 2021 I received 50 demerit points, so what would be answer? Are they looking for the maximum demerit point on the driving licence during last two years or the received demerit points during the last two years.

The next question, if I wait a year, I meet the condtion of "not having any demerit points in the last two years". Is there going to be any issue in this case?

The next question, the condition of the last demerit points was quite unfair and speeding was completely unintentional. Has anyone got in touch with NZTA and try to remove a demerit point from the record?

Im so nervous about this situation and really appreciate if you could give me some advice.

Regards

Per the Citizenship Guidance Document, a pattern of traffic infringements (100 or more demerit points) will usually trigger the detrimental information process pertaining to your character.

If this process is triggered, you will normally be asked to provide:

• your view on whether the information is accurate and fairly reflects the situation
    • your explanation of what occurred
    • your view of the matter now.

It may also be beneficial if you provide evidence of steps you have taken to address what happened and to stop it again, and any other information (e.g. evidence of contribution to the community) which shows your character in a positive light.

To clearly meet the good character requirement, all of the following must be met:

1. The matter is not considered by the Police to fall within the category of "serious" incidents.
    2. You have provided your view of the matter, view any detrimental conduct with remorse, have taken steps to address the underlying causes of your detrimental conduct, and have provided evidence thereof.
    3. You have provided a minimum of 2 character references that the Citizenship Office considers are relevant and reliable.
    4. More than 12 months have passed without incident.
    5. All 3 officials of the Citizenship Office assessing your character are of the view that, all things considered, you clearly meet the good character requirement.

If any of the above is not met, your application will be referred to the Minister of Internal Affairs for personal consideration, with a recommendation from the Citizenship Office which may be to approve or not to approve the grant of citizenship.

Question: was the suspension of your drivers license the result of a conviction in court? If so, you are disqualified from being granted citizenship until 3 years have passed from the date of conviction, per Section 9A(1)(c) of the Citizenship Act. Note that after the period of disqualification has ended, you must still satisfy the Citizenship Office that you are of good character; you will not meet this requirement automatically.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 17th May 2023 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks for the comprehensive response. I believe that I meet all the requirements and would be able to provide references. Who would be a reliable good character references? My Kiwi colleagues?

Also, do I need to go through these additional troubles, if two years passes from my last demerit points? In the online tool, it asks if we have 100 demerit points in the last two years only.

I appreciate your advice.

Regards

No, I had one ticket in 2020, one ticket in 2021 and one ticket in 2022. No court or any conviction. Speeding and all was due to driving in unfamiliar area and unintentional. Exactly on the same day of mt last ticket I contacted police department and explained the condition of for the infringement and asked them to waive it but they told me that they couldn't do anything since they issue the ticket....